A number of students have given feedback related to this place which seems to be located on the campus of the closed Brightway Adolescent Hospital.
One of the negative testimonies states:
This place works by breaking your child down until he/she literally believes they are NOTHING. once they are so traumatized and stripped of any feelings of self worth, ERA build them back up again and molds them however they want to. For some.. the outcome is probably better than the alternative but the tactics and way in which they do it is WRONG. there are better option and safer ways. NO child should be denied phonically to their parents. Jails don’t even do that! no child should be forced to carry around backpacks full of sand for weeks at a time. NO child should be denied the right to use the bathroom. This place is a mess and the techniques they use are dangerous. I’m happy it worked for some but parents PLEASE seek alternative options before sending your kids here. PLEASE.. IT was the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I’ve had major set backs because of it. They accept everyone so if your kid is just smoking pot or getting in trouble at school he could be bunking up with a gang member or meth addict. Its all about the money with these people. IF you have it, they’ll take it and make sure you keep your kid there to get “help”.
It doesn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Eagle Ranch Academy – reviews (Merchantcircle)
- My younger brother’s best friend just got “transported” to Eagle Academy Ranch in Utah. Is anybody familiar with this place? (Reddit Troubled Teen message board)
- Factsheet about the program (Fornits Wiki)
- staff list for Eagle Ranch Academy in St. George, UT (HEAL-online)
According to research done by posters on the message board Fornits, this program was started by people who were connected to the infamous Skyline Journey wilderness program where a boy died.
It means that it seems to be a risky business to send a child to this program.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- eaglequest nature camp in Utah (A thread on Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- staff list for Eagle Quest Outdoor Youth Development Program in Nephi, UT (HEAL-online)
Mesabi Academy in Minnesota operates like a private detention facility. They were in the media for not reporting possible abuse to the authorities. Instead they were aiming at legal action against the county in order to keep their business.
Private detention facilities are supposed to be punishment. However this kind of abuse was not written down by the judges who sent the juveniles to the facility. What the tax-payers get for their money is teenagers tormented by these possible acts of abuse which easy can lead them further into a line of crimes once they are released. Hunger Strikes among the teenagers are also seen.
It is cannot be fun to be there as a teenager (it shoudn’t but this is extreme.)
- Mesabi Academy staff probed over reported abuse (Mesabi Daily News)
- MPR: Abuse cover-up at Buhl juvenile center (Minnesota Brown)
- Boy treated during hunger strike at Mesabi Academy (Duluth News Tribune)
- Private juvenile center conceals abuse inquiries and pressures county to keep its business deal (Minnesota Public Radio)
Christian Parents living at West Papua are living every day fearing that their children will be taken to boarding schools to become heathens.
If the children don’t break, they disappear and will most properly die at an unknown location so their parent cannot even visit their graves.
This is the same Indonesia who try to bring tourists into their country. Maybe that is the spot where they need to be hurt not visiting them before the central government stop this abuse.
It is safe to say that it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- They’re taking our children (The Sydney Morning Herald)
- Muslim Indonesia Is Islamising West Papuan Christian and Animist Children By Deceit or By Force (New English review)
The Christian and Missionary Alliance’s Mamou Academy located in Guinea operated until 1971. After the school was closed and the children became adults they started to speak out against the abuse they experienced at the school. It was documented in various newspapers. A documentary was also made.
It is safe to state that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
The Tekakwitha Orphanage in Sisseton, South Dakota housed a number of children some decades ago. Among the employees were a pastor who according several of the children who were forced to live at the Orphanage raped the children. He was never convicted. That is why we don’t mention his name in this blog. However you can find his sorry name in the sources to this article.
It is safe to conclude that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Sacred Visions (Bag Eagle)
- South Dakota Boarding School Survivors Detail Sexual Abuse (indian country today media network)
We found a video showing use of corporal punishment at Amur Boarding School located somewhere in Russia
Articles show that the management has failed to do background checks of employees and allows minors without relevant training to work with the children properly to save money.
It is safe to say that it cannot be fun to be there as a child.
- Video Shows Children Beaten at Amur Boarding School (The Interpreter)
- Orphan Abuse Case Prompts Call for Public Oversight (The Moscow Times)
Ettal monastery school in Bravia, Germany made the headlines when the police raided it based on suspicion of abuse. According to various sources hundreds of boys had been beaten, many of them severely, by staff at the school decades ago.
It is not clear how many who will end up being charged and given their day in court but it is safe to say at this point that it couldn’t have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Court probes abuse at Catholic boarding school (The Local)
- German Monastery raided over child sex abuse claims (Getty Images)
- Court probes abuse at Catholic boarding school (The remembered self)
Around 2008 bad press pressured the so-called residential treatment facilities which worked together with the WWASP organization. Enrollment lowered at Carolina Springs Academy and after a fire the authorities made various demands, so the owners rebranded Carolina Springs Academy as Magnolia Hills Christian School. Now it was marketed as a Christian School.
However enrollment continued to be reduced and in the end the campus was closed down.
There were problems with animals on the property not being taken care off.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- School of Troubles: Another chance for abandoned boarding school (Independent Mail)
- Animal Bones, Carcasses Found At Closed School (WYFF 4 news)
This rehab started in California but soon moved south of the borders where regulation and oversight was none-existing. Former clients speak of mechanical restraints, use of tear-gas against clients and a lot other things which indicated poorly trained employees with none or little knowledge about the level of care such a complicated decease like addition requires.
In the long run the operation became too much for even the authorities in Mexico and they moved the operations to an unknown location inside the United States where they shut down a short time after year 2000.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Teen abductions, “behavior modification” camps, etc. (Project Nospank)
- Survivor Roundup! Post here if you are a survivor of a ‘troubled teen’ facility! (Reddit message board)
- My parents had me kidnapped when I was 13, and sent to Mexico to a rehabilitation camp for addicts AMAA. (Reddit message board)
- Teen CARE camp (Reddit message board)