Chelfham Mill School has been the center of an investigation into past events. The school was a residential school for boys with emotional and behavioural problems. It was closed in 2015 after it was revealed how the boys were treated.
The investigation have since continued to include other schools.
It could not have been fun to live there.
The Landon School located in Bethesda, Maryland was founded in 1929. A recent investigation into past episodes of abuse revealed that several students had been victim of a teacher working there between 1946 and 1962.
It is stated by the school that they had no knowledge of the abuse taking place back then. It does seem that they realized that they needed systems to catch possible abuse from happening again and created such a setup recently.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student risking being victim for such a teacher.
Unnamed residential treatment facility in Romania located in the village of Viseu de Sus was raided by the police and several of the adults were detained.
The managers had set up the program in connection with local officials who informed them of inspections in advance so they could drug the teenagers so they were sedated and not able to make any complaints to the inspectors. The teenagers were Germans imprisoned outside their own country with approval from German authorities because such a facility could be run cheaper with low-paid Romanian labor rather than running it in Germany where the salary levels are higher.
It could not be fun to be detained abroad under such conditions.
- Police raid Romanian farm where troubled German teens were treated ‘like slaves’ (South China Morning Post)
- Child protection project in Romania: German arrested for abuse allegations (Reddit Message Board)
July 2019 newspaper articles showed that the authorities had removed 27 children from the facility after an investigation. The reason for the action of the authorities were quoted to be “consistent and chronic allegations” of medical neglect and physical and psychological abuse. Some of the points mentioned in articles were:
- Children were hit, kicked, body slammed and spit on by staff members.
- Staff members inflicted “persistent psychological abuse” on children, including prolonged isolation.
- Children were forced to go on 15- to 20-mile “disciplinary walks” on remote Forest Service roads in harsh conditions.
- Food was withheld from children.
- A nail gun was shot at a child.
If the investigation stands, it is safe to state that it cannot be fun to have been there as a teenager.
Yet another school is looking into the past and find that previous managements failed the children attending the school. This time it is St. Xavier High School in Kentucky run by the Xaverian Brothers.
A number of former employees have been named. Sadly they are dead so it is too late to bring them to justice. Is waiting for the deaths of the criminals, so you can publish what they did the new trend?
Anyway it is safe to state that it could not have been fun to be a student at the school back then.
The present management of the school is behind an investigation into the past of the school located in Tokyo. What is missing is putting names on the people responsible and if possible if they are alive to today look into whether they can be prosecuted.
Sexual abuse seems to have taken place in the years between the 1950s and 1990s. Other forms of abuse seem to have been uncovered too.
It is safe to state that it could not have been fun to a child at the school back then.
- Boarding School for Missionary Kids Uncovers Dozens of Abuse Allegations (Christianity Today)
- School for missionary children in Japan investigating allegations of past abuse (Religion News Service)
Sequel Youth and Family Services has a problem. One after another the facilities they run come under investigation. This time it is Clarinda Academy. Various articles show how the residents are treated and it is not a pleasant information to read.
It is safe to say that it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Firm accused of abusing troubled teens in Iowa, elsewhere under fire again (Des Moines Register)
- Clarinda students were restrained and injured as punishment, records show (Des Moines Register)
- U.S. NEWS: ‘They told me it was going to be a good place’: Allegations of abuse at home for at-risk kids (NBC News)
Lookout Mountain Youth Services Center has been the center of a riot, gang fights and cases of sex between inmates and staff members. Neither of it should be acceptable even when both parties in a sexual relationship agree because it was supposed to be a place where you treat sexual offenders not a place where sex takes place.
It is safe to say that it cannot be a good place to be as a teenager.
- Three Lookout Mountain Youth Services Center staff injured while breaking up gang fight as facility grapples with severe shortage of guards (The Denver Post)
- https://www.westword.com/news/lookout-mountain-youth-services-center-sex-and-violence-claims-11365587 (Denver Westword)
- Another Teen Uses Bed Sheets To Escape From Lookout Mountain Youth Services Center (Yahoo News)
2019 brought the news that Mount Pleasant Academy will close.
Before Sequel acquired its four Utah treatment centers in 2016, state investigators threatened to revoke Mount Pleasant Academy’s license after they found reports of child abuse and neglect.
Sequel tried to run the facility but low enrollment meant that it was not a good business and because running such a place is never about the welfare of children but rather about profit for the owners, Sequel will now close the facility.
It seems that a state like Oregon has taxpayers who are willing to waste their money. Like it was the case with Red Rock Canyon School, Oregon has paid for poor service for its foster children.
Based on what took place before 2016, it is safe to say that it was not a good place to be as a teenager.
Whenever a child and a counselor is alone in a room at a facility like Renewed Hope Ranch, there should be some video security not only to protect the child but also the professional reputation of the counselor. It seems that a staff member at Renewed Hope Ranch in Enoch either forgot that or turned off the security system with purpose.
Now the police is investigating which is the only way because they are the only one who can determine whether criminal activity took place.
If there was a purpose by shutting off the video security it is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.