Ai Mental School was a the time of the sources placed in Nagoya, Japan.
The employees were arrested after a 26 year old man died after he was handcuffed and forced to the facility. Teenagers were found at the school which seemed to specialize themselves in confining people urged by the families of the victims.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Nagoya NPO head held over captive’s death (The Japan Times)
- Totsuka Yacht School case illuminates the problem of reform schools: “Lord of the Flies” institutionalized? (Education in Japan Community blog)
Wellspring Academy in Sutherlin, Virginia was closed in 2003. The owner Bob Gluhareff shot himself after he was sentenced to prison
A local newspaper wrote:
And Bob Gluhareff, who had headed the now defunct Wellspring Academy in the Sutherlin community for disturbed youth, was sentenced to 30 months in jail and ordered to pay $500,000 in restitution. The sentencing came after Gluhareff had been charged with 53 counts of tax, wire, mail and bank fraud back in 2006. However, earlier this year, he had pleaded guilty to two charges of bank fraud and one each to mail and tax fraud.
It is safe to say based on the ruling in the court that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Wellspring Academy, Bob Gluhareff, Cindy Thomas, Chris Chris (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- News and Record
Piedmont Behavioral Health Center is a residential treatment center in Leesburg. An article states that the facility is used as a store room for teenagers in the foster care system where teenagers are moved around without a long-term plan.
November 2017 a teenager was found dead at the facility. Something indicate that it cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Outsourcing Troubled Kids (The Washington City Paper)
- Admissions at North Spring health facility halted after resident’s death (Loudoun Times-Mirror)
Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch claims that they have changed over the years and that is good because it was a bad place in the past. Abuse – even sexual – among the children, violence committed by adults is just some of the issues, the teenagers in the past had to deal with.
Now they even want to name a dorm after one of the persons who was responsible for the violence. Was it not better that they named it after one of the persons who sought to that the place was regulated by the legislation ending the abuse?
Safe to say that it was not a fun place for a teenager to stay in the past.
- AGN EXCLUSIVE: Former Congressman Bill Sarpalius details suffering abuse at Boys Ranch (Amarillo Globe News)
- Amarillo-area Boys Ranch apologizes for decades of physical, sexual abuse of at-risk youths (Dallas News)
- Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch acknowledges, apologizes for decades of physical, sexual abuse (Lubbock Online)
Located on an area where they used to house prisoners of war during the second world war, a training school housed teenagers until some time in 1980’s.
Many years after the closure it seems that the training schools housed adults who molested and abused the teenagers. Various forms of sexual exploitation took place against the teenagers. It marked them for decades afterward.
The worst part is that Pine Ridge Training School was only one of these schools. More horror testimonies are expected in the future.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Survivors of Ontario ‘training schools’ say their suffering is being erased by redevelopment project (The National Post)
- Class action suit launched against Ontario over alleged abuse in ‘training schools’ (The Toronto Star)
- Still no justice (Dark Corner of Canadian History)
Totsuka Yacht School is a reform school founded in 1976. The student population seems now to include students with emotional problems which should have been treated by professional people in the health care system instead of low-paid teachers.
As result several teenagers have died. Rather strange the principal, Hiroshi Totsuka, was allowed back to work after serving a prison sentence because his actions or lack of them led to the deaths among students at the school.
It cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Another question mark over Totsuka school’s education methods (Japan Today)
- Suicide leap at disciplinary school (Japan Times)
- Anger as brutal teacher is freed (The Independent)
The House of Prayer for All People existed from 1985 to 1995. It was a cult-like group home. The police have charged the Anna Elizabeth Young, who was in charge og the group home for murder.
A boy died. The investigations show that food was withheld leading to the death of Emon Harper, who was around 2 or 3 years old at the time.
Other vitnesses have told about children being bathed in chemicals.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Gainesville religious home owner, now 75, charged in child’s death (News-journal Online)
- Leader of ‘Cult-Like’ Boarding School Is Arrested In Late 1980s Cold Case Death Of Toddler (Inside Edition)
It is one of the oldest treatment homes of its kind in the area. However the residents are concerned about riots. Decades ago one boy killed another. It does not seem that the supervision has improved since leaving a possibility that other families might suffer the same tragedy.
It cannot be fun to be there as a child – neighter being neighbor to the facility.
- Boy, 13, Held in Killing of Boy, 12, at School for the Troubled (The New York Times)
- Rough Sex Led to Boy’s Death, Officer Says (The New York Times)
- Plea bargain for teen who killed boy (UPI)
- Two Teens Arrested Following Large Riot At Pleasantville Cottage School (Pleasantville Daily Voice)
Edgemeade of Virginia was a treatment center which closed in 1979. There was not a lot of protect mecanism to secure the safety of the teenage patients. A girls was raped.
The center closed in 1979. The unsafe environment makes it safe to state that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
Carlbrook School was modeled after the CEDU boarding school chain which closed in 2005 after being treathened with a number of lawsuits. 3 boys are still missing from the CEDU school. They ran away and were never found.
The same goes for Carlbrook School. Forest Ferguson went missing in 2010 and has never been found. While lack of background check allowed a man later prosecuted for child murders to work on the campus, it is not known what caused Forest Ferguson to remain missing leaving his family in uncertaincy about his fate.
The so-called therapeutic model used at Carlbrook was invented in its early form at Synanon, which was a defunct religious community which closed down after a FBI investigation. The damaging components were basically the same. Marathon seminar sessions which in its controlled nature led to psycodrama rather than treatment.
Many teenagers now live with therapy on weekly basis trying to overcome what they were exposed to at Carlbrook School. The school closed in 2015 after teenagers became adults and began to speak out against it.
- Forest Ferguson (The Charley Project)
- The world is still dealing with leftovers from the abusive Synanon/CEDU cult
- GODFATHER at Carlbrook School (Tales from the black school testimonial blog)