The Wolston Park Hospital located in Queensland housed mentally ill between the 1950’s and 1980’s. Reports in local media mention the children were exposed to repeated rapes, sexual assaults – by both staff and adult patients – torture, chemical restraints, cigarette burns, fear, isolation and degrading humiliation.
Today it is known as The Park Centre for Mental Health – hopefully it is managed in a different way.
It is safe to state that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Harrowing stories of rape, chemical restraints and humiliation (Brisbane Times)
- Mental asylum mass exhumations and missing remains: the tale of Wolston Park’s lost and forgotten patients. (The Bottom Drawer Book)
- Wolston Park victim: ‘I got them to believe I wasn’t mad’ (The Queensland Times)
Loretto School located near Edinburgh apologized for the abuse some of the former students suffered by the hands of employees who were working there when the abuse took place.
Former students took the brave step to come forward and testify about what kind of abuse they suffered and as result further investigation took place.
It cannot have been fun to be there as a student when the abuse took place.
- Boarding schools apologise ‘unreservedly’ over abuse (TES News)
- Professor tells of sex abuse at top school Many prominent men were victims at Loretto over 16 years, claims academic (The Herald)
- Sexually abused during his time at Loretto School, Don Boyd returns to Edinburgh and launches a book incorporating his abuse (The Scotsman)
The Devereux organization established their Texas department in 1959 and it is one out of many departments across the United States.
Searching on the facility articles speak of possible sexual attack on children and riots. An article points out that the management was not observant enough setting up guidelines which could have prevented these incidents.
Feedback from former patients on Google is not that positive
I use to live here. They played favoritism. When it was time for prom they told us if you walk out of school or anywhere else you will not attend prom but that was a lie. The counselors never cared. Never listened to you. I cant wait to show up one day to surprise everyone. Cause this place needs to be shut down. After me and another client left me and her still talked i told her i was pregant and told me someone from Devereux could take care of my baby. Umm what? The baby would have a better life. I miscarried. But for staff to still be connected with residents is a little disturbing. This place is not worth it. Dont come here EVER!Stephanie Rodriguez
Horrible communication good luck getting any information after spending 3 days calling leaving messages and never getting a callback I tried the number my insurance company provided and spoke to a super rude disgruntled employee who informed me they were long term not short term(1-2months inpatient) facility which is NOT clearly stated on their website. If the initial intake is this incompetent I can’t imagine how services could bemonique mcgillen
It does not sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Mental health worker faces slew of charges after being accused of sexually assaulting 4 children (Click 2 Houston)
- 9 arrested at Devereux Advanced Behavior Health facility (RC News Chant)
- At the nation’s leading behavioral health nonprofit for youth, Devereux staff abused children in their care for years — while red flags were dismissed. (The Philadelphia Inquirer, LLC)
- Mother of teen with autism demanding answers from facility he went missing from and Phoenix PD (ABC 15 Arizona)
- Valley mother asks for community’s help to find missing teen with autism (ABC 15 Arizona)
- DOZENS OF CHILDREN REPORT SEXUAL ABUSE AT DEVEREUX ADVANCED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH (Cohen & Malad, LLP)
- New lawsuit alleges Devereux failed to protect at least six children from abuse (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
- Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health Staff Sexual Abuses Class Action Lawsuit (Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP)
The group home Kikhøj was located in Holbæk Denmark. In 2019 it closed after the authorities investigated the group home and found violations of rules regarding the use of restraints.
The group home was mentioned in a 2021 TV-documentary on the Danish TV2 called “Nødråb fra børnehjemmet” (Emergency call from the orphanage).
It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Rystet efter overgreb mod børn på Kikhøj – nu står to vikarer frem med deres historie (TV2 Øst – In Danish language)
- Lukning af Kikhøj ankes ikke (Holbæk Kommune – In Danish language)
- Skarp kritik lukker botilbud (Sjællandske Nyheder – In Danish language)
- Rystet efter overgreb mod børn på Kikhøj : ‘Rædselsfuldt’ (BT – In Danish language)
Wolf Creek Academy or Harbor Oaks Boarding School is located in North Carolina.
In 2010 the facility was involved in a lawsuit. It is not clear where the therapists are trained but to see “demons” following the clients to be treated seem kind of strange. On former detainee at the facility wrote in a comment to a blog:
I was in Harbor Oaks for 8 months
and I can defenitly beleive alot of this stuff
I got better but not from the help of anyone else it was just a choice I made, no counseling session did anything for me, actually one time my counselor said that she could see “demons” following me!!!!!! Everytime a student would tell their parents something bad about the school,l ike how they were touched wrong by the staff, or the expired food, when they would calll the office they would just be lied to then the students would get into trouble. If i had enouph patience to sit here and say everything wrong this school has done to its students i would be here alll dayformer student ()
Another former student wrote:
I went there two years ago and it ruined my life, it got me to start drugs, drinking, cutting, ect. at age 13. I ending up trying to commit sucide a few months later due to the damage it has done to me. I was tramized, i was scared to go to the bathroom and leave my bed. I only got to see my theripist if i asked to. I was put on sucide watch for 2 weeks and they didnt even watch me, let me do the same thing as the other girls. it was complete and utter bullshit. they lied about everything and told my parents we got to use the internet and contact friends, lies, we could talk to parents maybe 15 mins a week on a supervised phone call. The staff could end the phone call or deyn you your phone call if they wanted to, one of the staff while i was there got fired for watching some of the girls in thier underwear. Also the food was digustion. It was always expired, and begin a vegaterian, i was forced to skip meals sometimes because i refused to eat the meat. Id write a hell of a lot more if i had the time though. But parents, please DONT send your child here.Old student from 2 years ago ()
Over all it does not sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Wolf Creek Academy (HEAL-online information about the facility)
- Bonham et al v. Wolf Creek Academy et al (Justia)
- 78 thoughts on “Breaking Sue Scheff News From ISACcorp.org: Harbor Oaks and Sue Scheff” (Sue Scheff Truth)
Carmel College was founded in 1948 and closed in 1997. It was intended as a Jewish alternative to the traditional English boarding schools based on so-called Christian values. While successful in giving many young children a good education, it also allowed a now convicted Housemaster and French teacher to prey on the children in the years between 1968 and 1988. The children often lonely and far away from their support-network and families were easy victims.
It could not have been fun to be a teenager victimized by this person.
- Dark Modernism : the forgotten story of an abandoned Jewish boarding school (Explorabilia – Alternative Travel Experiences – blog)
- Carmel College sex abuse: Victim speaks of childhood ordeal (BBC)
- Acclaimed composer tells of sexual abuse at Carmel College (The Guardian)
The Salesian College located in Sunbury, Victoria, Australia was founded in 1929. In the 1970’s and up to some point in the 1990’s various forms of abuse took place on the hands of some of the employees. A number of persons were convicted.
It is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager while the abuse took place.
- Justice four decades later (The Adviser)
- After 42 years, two victims expose the church’s cover-up (Broken Rites Australia)
- Extra jail time for rapist ex-priest who assaulted boy at summer camp (The Age Australia)
The St. Joseph care home sometime named St. Joseph’s boys school or St. Joseph Institute are in the news due to an investigation into a number of death taking place in the 1950’s among the 60 boys enrolled at that time. 34 deaths over a short period is alleged to be on the hands of a monk.
If it is the case that a monk killed boys off the boys, it is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Former head nurse says 20 boys were killed at Dutch boarding school (Daiji world)
- Dutch prosecutors probe Catholic institute deaths (The San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Multiple Deaths at Boys’ Home Were No Accident (Reuters via Bishop-Accountability)
The facility also going under names as St Joseph’s College and St Joseph’s College Hunters Hill is located near Sydney in Australia. It was established in 1881. For many years is was very closed connected to a Catholic Religious Institute of Brothers called Marist Brothers.
Recently articles about abuse which took place while the school had close connections to the brotherhood appeared. Testimonies were given before the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. A former brother was convicted but most of the alleged abusers had died at the time of the hearing.
It could not have been fun to be victim to the abuse committed by some of the brothers back then.
- Catholic Brother stands trial for the sexual abuse of his ‘favourite student’ in the late 1960s (ABC News Australia)
- Raped a dozen times when he was just 11 at a Catholic boarding school: Tony Daly reveals the devastating pain he hid during his storied rugby career and how his life spiralled out of control after retirement (Daily Mail Online)
Lava Heights Academy run by the same company who ran the now-closed Red Rock Canyon school and Mount Pleasant Academy is mentioned in an article where a mother realized that her son had run away when the police in Arizona picked him up. The facility had not reported him missing and as result of that the police were not looking for him. He could have been hurt by criminals while without adult company living in the streets.
Why did they fail? Maybe it is because the employees are not given the conditions they need.
A former employee writes:
Company pretends to care, but gets rid of good people and keeps bad ones in supervisory and management positions. Examples are they have nurses working as direct care staff.Pros
Management doesn’t care about people
It is clear that is the only good thing is free meals then you do not get caring employees. Employees who will speak out against management if the children placed at the facility do not the treatment set up in their treatment plan.
It cannot be a good place to be as a teenager in need of treatment.