598. Copper Lake School
In an early post we wrote about Lincoln Hills School and now it seems that the problems have hit Copper Lake School for girls also.
It is welknown that many of the teenagers who are locked up in reality should have been offered treatment because they in reality are suffering from various mental issues. Suicide attempts are a cry for help and should not be met with punishment but hospitalization instead.
Big central institutions are a thing of the past. Specialized group homes which can make individual plans for the childrens return to the society as productive citizens are the path of the future.
Of course it is not fun to be placed in prison as a teenager but at these two prisons the punishment extend what the judges metered out in courts and that is not fair.
- Iowa girls were abused at Wisconsin facility after Iowa closed Toledo school, lawsuits say (The Desmoines Register)
- Girl gravely injured in suicide attempt at Copper Lake prison (JS Online)
- At Wisconsin Juvenile Prisons, Children Face a Nightmare of Solitary Confinement and Abuse (Solitary Watch)
- 4 months at Lincoln Hills: Nearly 500 incidents, 32 injuries to youth (Wisconsin State Journal)
597. Northeast Parent and Child Society
The Northeast Parent and Child Society in Schenectady, New York has been the center of some media coverage recently. We are talking alleged illegal relationship between teacher and student, alleged violence against students. We are talking about the massive number of calls and responses by the police to the facility.
For vulnerable teenagers who are forced to be there in order to heal it cannot be fun to be placed in such an environment.
- Northeast Parent and Child Society School teacher’s aide accused of having relationship with 15-year-old student (News 10 news)
- Steep rise in police calls to Schenectady facility for troubled teens (Times Union)
- Northeast Parent & Child youth aide pleads guilty in sex charge (Times Union)
- Castleton man charged with rape, sex abuse (The Troy Record)
Group home pays $450K to family of boy who recorded abuse (WKRN News)
596. Triangle Cross Ranch
The Triangle Cross Ranch established itself in the state of Wyoming quiet believing that they could run the place without state supervison and approval. When the Wyoming Department of Family Services discovered the presence in the state, they demanded the state facility should aquire a license and subject them self to state supervision.
In the end no license were issued and the facility closed down. It could not be fun to be at this place being forced to deal with various issues using prayers only without the security the license and the standards state supervision sets.
- Alleged unlicensed teen ranch north of Cody faces closure (Cody Enterprise)
- Uncertified Rehab Ranch Properly Closed (Court House News)
- High court upholds ban for unlicensed Clark youth ranch (The Washington Times)
595. Whakapakari boot camp
The Whakapakari boot camp located on the Great Barrier Island opened in the late 1970’s and closed in 2004. Already in the 1980’s there were allogations of abuse. However the authorities made the choice to ignore them.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- State ‘funded’ abuse at isolated boot camp for young people and ignored warnings for 16 years – former minister (1 news now)
- Boot-camp abuse claims due to be heard (New Zealand Herald)
- The lost boys of the Barrier (New Zealand Herald)
594. St Mary Goretty Dede Girls boarding school
At this boarding school in Awendo, Migori in Kenya, they allow caning. In 2017 some girls had invited some boys over for fun. As punishment they were caned and expelled.
It cannot be fun to be left out of these activities and certainly not fun to be caned just because you were enjoying normal teenage activities.
593. Sequel TSI Madison
One of those places youth in Alabama can be sentenced to serve in is Sequel TSI Madison owned by Three Springs. There seems to be a number of people who have tried to escape from this facility and in 2017 it was revealed that a youth counselor had performed oral sex on some of the boys confined at the facility.
It is not every boy who wants to allow this to happen in order for various favors and that is enough to state that it can not be fun for every male teenager forced to live there.
- Madison youth counselor had sex with ‘several boys’ during 2-month span, court records state (al.com)
- Sub-message board about Three Springs (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- UPDATE: Teens missing from Three Springs in Madison located (WHNT news)
592. Fairbridge Farm
Fairbridge Farm located near Pinjarra in Australia was a dumping place for helpless children exported from United Kingdom so the workload of case workers could be lighter.
At the farm they suffered unkind treatment from the staff. Some were lied to and told that their parents had died.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
589. St Peter’s College and seminary
The present facility is no longer a seminary. When it was a seminary incidents occured which meant that the facility was featured in the Ferns Report covering sexual abuse.
It took some time to clean out the criminals and too many students became victims.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student back then.
- Ferns story: how it unfolded (The Irish Times)
- The Ferns Report (Wikipedia)