The Grace Dieu Manor School is run by the Rosminians. They also ran other schools. The order ran a Yorkshire reform school near Market Weighton from 1857 until they were replaced in 1912. Out of three Rosminian rectors, two were moved after being criticised by authorities for the use of excessively severe punishments. In Ireland, the Rosminians ran two industrial schools, St Patrick’s in Upton, from 1889 to 1966, and St Joseph’s in Clonmel, from 1885 to 1999. The Ryan Report from the Ireland’s Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse document abuse at the schools. Several lawsuits have been filed and many were settled outside the court system.
It seems that the order neglected to report abusive staff only exchanging them to other places once the complaints became too many. It could not have been fun to be there as students.
This very alternative school was located first in California, then in Mexico until the started ended its time in Guatemala.
They used an alternative curriculum and the children attending the school were basically isolated in an environment organized like a cult.
The school closed in the 1990’s and both founders are now dead. It looks like a bad place to be as a student.
Underley Hall School had housed various schools since the 1940’s. Recently a case was opened against employees working there in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
The employees used a lot of brutal force to keep the student in place. A trial was resently started in response to the treatment the children received.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student.
- Underley Hall School staff ‘gouged eyes of pupils to instil fear’ (The Times)
- Men Go On Trial Over Alleged Historic Abuse At Underley Hall School (Lakeland Radio)
- Underley Hall staff instilled ‘fear and brutality’ (BBC News)
- Underley Hall School trial: Former pupil tells court he was left “battered and bruised” by alleged assault (The Westmor Land Gazette)
The Arcade Circus is a private circus school located in Katoomba. A number of employees were arrested charged on rape, kidnapping, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and production of child porn.
Needless so say that it does not sound like a fun place to be as a child.
- CIRCUS ‘CHILD SEX RING’ Seven circus school members ‘performed sadistic blood and sex rituals on three boys under eight in shocking child abuse ring’ (The Sun)
- Seven charged over sexual and physical abuse at Katoomba circus school: police (The Sydney Morning Herald)
- Group linked to performing arts school in regional NSW carried out ‘blood rituals’ during abuse of boys, police allege (ABC News Australia)
Canaan’s Land Boys Ranch is a small so-called boarding school where they use the ACE curriculum. It operated for some time without proper paperwork, but in Montana there are not a lot of consequences by doing this. The manager – JR Thompson – known from the bizarre events at Blue Creek Academy started the so-called school without proper paperwork.
Given the fact that such schools require almost no oversight and given his past behavior, it is safe to state that it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager, not to mention that the curriculum does not count at most universities and colleges, meaning that it is waste of time academically to attend school there.
- Rapes, Daily Beatings, and No Escape: Christian School Was Hell For These Boys (The Daily Beast)
- Good Ol Christian Schools (Topix)
Timberlawn Behavioral Health System was founded in 1917. Over the years it specialized in treatment of mental issues at children and young adults.
Complaints has been public almost since the start of the common use of the Internet. In 2017 the state suddenly became aware that there was a problem and it led to the closure of Timberlawn in 2018. It could not have been fun to be there as a patient.
- ‘Immediate jeopardy’: How safe are kids at state-monitored Timberlawn psych hospital? (The Dallas Morning News)
- Dallas Timberlawn psychiatric hospital has run out of second chances (The Dallas Morning News)
- Timberlawn Mental Health System (UHS Behind Closed Doors)
Nichols School is located in Buffalo, New York.
An investigation is ongoing as it has been revealed that several teachers had improper relationships with students.
It cannot be fun to attend this school and not get the special attention of the teachers if you want it. It also cannot be fun to attend this school if you get special attention from the teachers and you do not want it.
- Nichols probe: Loophole doesn’t require private schools to report sexual misconduct (Buffalo News)
- ‘I was an immature girl with a crush’: Woman reveals how she had sex with her physics teacher, 48, when she was just 17 at exclusive $22,000 a year prep school where TEN teachers have been accused of sexual misconduct (The Daily Mail)
- TEN TEACHERS AT PRIVATE SCHOOL HAD ‘IMPROPER’ RELATIONSHIPS WITH STUDENTS OVER DECADES (News Week)
Beecholme Children’s Home was founded in 1879. For the last couple of years an investigation has been ongoing into possible abuse conducted against the children in the years between 1957 and 1974.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Beechholme (Wikipedia)
- HOUSE OF HORRORS Cops investigate children’s home ‘where at least 118 kids were beaten and tortured over two decades’ (The Sun)
- Institutional Child Abuse – Beecholme childrens home – Surrey (The UK & Ireland Database for crimes against kids.)
Seton Keough High School started as St. Joseph School of Industry in 1865. It was closed late 2017.
Father A. Joseph Maskell was a priest at the school in the 1960s and 1970s. For years he was able to secure abuse of girls by playing counselor. None questioned his work at the school. When evidence became too much, he moved on. In the end he had to emigrate to Ireland where he continued to work without any investigation done until he died a decade ago.
A lot of his former victims came forward. Some of the testimonies can be seen on the Netflix documentary “The Keepers”. As renaming a school is no longer a way to escape bad reputation the school closed in 2017 despite the fact that the present students sounded happy about their stay.
However the school never dealt entire with their past. For many years the abuse done by Maskell was covered up. The persons who did the cover-up remains to be investigated. It could not have been fun to be a teenage student there in the past.
- Before ‘The Keepers,’ My Mother Was One Of Father Maskell’s Victims (The Huffington Post)
- Did the Catholic Church Get Away with Murder? (Rape victims of the catholic church)