Union Juvenile Residential Facility located in Raiford, Florida was notified by the state that the children in their care would be removed after a battery case.
The facility is owned by Sequel TSI who had similar issues with their facilities in Utah.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- (CBS 4 News)
- Local juvenile centers under state microscope after series of escapes (Jacksonville – Florida Times-Union)
Mount Carmel Industrial School was located in Moate in Ireland.
It was a place where the local child welfare authorities could outsource their responsibilities to. Adults who survived the ordeal being placed there as children speak of beatings and sexual abuse. Some children seem to have disappeared. The paperwork was sparse and properly some of it has disappeared.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child. Where the oversight, the state should have taken care off were, is also uncertain. None seem to have taken care.
- Offaly man speaks out about sickening abuse suffered in local residential home (Offaly Express)
- “I want to know who those babies were, how they ended up in that room in Mount Carmel and what ever became of them.” (Irish Mirror)
- Woman was victim of abuse since childhood (The Irish Times)
- ‘The State doesn’t care’ – Brave survivor of childhood sexual and physical abuse at industrial school (The Irish Independent)
The Glen Mills School has seen a number of students being redrawn by the counties which sent the teenagers to the school originally. The reason seems to be the violence the teenagers were subjected to. Why it did not happen sooner, is an interesting questions. Decades have passed since the first reports of violence. Still many counties continued to use the school. Why did they not intervene sooner? Was the school an ideal solution for teenagers, none cared about until the media took notice of what went on at the school?
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- County pulls Houston teens out of Pa. reform school after investigation alleges brutal abuse (Houston Chronicle)
- Beaten, then silenced (Philadelphia Media Network)
Daruk Boys’ Home also known as Daruk Training School was created hoping the change to lives of young offenders. Instead it became a place where adults could have sex with minors. Basic guidelines to prevent such things from happening were not followed and young boys aged down to 12 ended up with men who had other things in mind than the welfare of the boys. And the sexual abuse was just part of some of the gruesome things which could happen to the boys confined at this facility. The Australian government rewarded the management for their efforts.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a child.
- Australian government-run home exposed as ‘paedophile’s paradise’
- https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/police-close-in-on-daruk-training-school-abuse-suspects/news-story/4ac23468ee91d0c7fe7bf3129bb46d48″>Police close in on Daruk Training School abuse suspects (The Australian Weekend)
- Boys had penises cut off, Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse hears (News.com.au)
Echo Glen Children’s Center has been around for a long time. There have also been a number of suicide attempts and suicides for a long time.
At least 3 of these deaths are mentioned on the Swedish run memorial board “Today a child died”.
It cannot be fun to be there as a child.
Canaan’s Land Boys Ranch is a small so-called boarding school where they use the ACE curriculum. It operated for some time without proper paperwork, but in Montana there are not a lot of consequences by doing this. The manager – JR Thompson – known from the bizarre events at Blue Creek Academy started the so-called school without proper paperwork.
Given the fact that such schools require almost no oversight and given his past behavior, it is safe to state that it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager, not to mention that the curriculum does not count at most universities and colleges, meaning that it is waste of time academically to attend school there.
- Rapes, Daily Beatings, and No Escape: Christian School Was Hell For These Boys (The Daily Beast)
- Good Ol Christian Schools (Topix)
In 2002 a number of teachers at this reform school was arrested due to allogations of violence conducted upon the teenagers contained at the facility.
One of the sources states:
One of them is suspected of showering a 17-year-old boy with cold water and forcing him to wear a paper diaper in front of his friends.
Another allegedly shoved a detergent container into the mouth of a 16-year-old boy, saying, “Swallow this and die.” A third allegedly hit a 17-year-old in the face, kicked him and then caused him to become incontinent by refusing to allow him to use the bathroom.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager
Located on an area where they used to house prisoners of war during the second world war, a training school housed teenagers until some time in 1980’s.
Many years after the closure it seems that the training schools housed adults who molested and abused the teenagers. Various forms of sexual exploitation took place against the teenagers. It marked them for decades afterward.
The worst part is that Pine Ridge Training School was only one of these schools. More horror testimonies are expected in the future.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Survivors of Ontario ‘training schools’ say their suffering is being erased by redevelopment project (The National Post)
- Class action suit launched against Ontario over alleged abuse in ‘training schools’ (The Toronto Star)
- Still no justice (Dark Corner of Canadian History)
Totsuka Yacht School is a reform school founded in 1976. The student population seems now to include students with emotional problems which should have been treated by professional people in the health care system instead of low-paid teachers.
As result several teenagers have died. Rather strange the principal, Hiroshi Totsuka, was allowed back to work after serving a prison sentence because his actions or lack of them led to the deaths among students at the school.
It cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Another question mark over Totsuka school’s education methods (Japan Today)
- Suicide leap at disciplinary school (Japan Times)
- Anger as brutal teacher is freed (The Independent)
Today Waialeʻe Industrial School in Hawaii is only a tomb but past generations remember this place with fear. Not everyone was placed there fairly. There was a time where the United States ran the former Kingdom of Hawaii as a kind of colony controlled by private businessmen who didn’t accept democracy or even the kingdom itself. It closed in the 1950’s.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a teenager.