An article speaks about the demise of Idaho Youth Ranch. Budgets, constant change of staff and confusing strategies from the management has resulted in poor service towards the youths they are supposed to help.
Having real problems reaching out for help makes it not a fun place to be if you get not the help you expected, if you as a teenager stay at the Idaho Youth Ranch.
Idaho Youth Ranch in trouble and failing to help children, say former employees (The Idaho Statesman)
The idea for this place is serve adolescents children and adolescents referred by the Department of Child and Family Services. Our homes offer comprehensive residential treatment and intensive clinical services focused on preparing youth to return home or to transition into an alternative structured, therapeutic or independent living situation.
It sound very fine, but the type of job a counselor suggested to guide girls forwards independent living was criminal. Selling their bodies can hardly be legal. It does not sound as a fun place to be as a teenager.
The idea sounded good. Taking in at-risk teenagers and teaching them faith and be a guide for them.
Unfortunately they guided the teenagers in other more personal matters which benefitted them also.
It could not have been fun to become part of Children Having Overcoming Power (CHOP).
Young Danes dreaming of a life in the movie entertainment business were abused by the directors Ernst Johansen and Lasse Nielsen. Ernst Johansen had a taste for young girls and Lasse Nielsen a taste for young boys.
They made a number of youth movies like “Du er ikke alene”, “Måske ku’ vi” and “La’ os være”. They were the hottest partnership in the Danish movie industry back then. Young talents wanted to be part of the movies and the ambitions was abuse by the directors. One of the girls comitted suicide.
It could not have been fun being a teenager finding out that the agenda never was to make the movies, but rather using the movies to get easy and quick sex.
- Overgreb i danske ungdomsfilm (Ekko film)
- ’Det var 70’erne, og det var sommer, og solen skinnede’ (Information)
St. John Vianney Seminary located 25 miles west of Richmond, Virginia is closed. When it was open the boys suffered by the strange and bizarre behavior among some of the employees which must be considered abuse.
Investigation was finally launced many years after. It remains unclear whether the full scale of events ever will be public, but it is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a student.
- Richmond’s Troubled Diocese”>Richmond’s Troubled Diocese (The Washington Post)
- Father Figure (Style Weekly)
- Richmond, Virginia – St. John Vianney Seminary (SNAP Survivors’ Network)
The St Michael’s Catholic Boarding School was a religious school in Tanzania. It was run by the Rosminians.
In 2010 investigation began into the past of the school, which was published in 2011. It could not have been fun to be there as a student.
- He was my priest and my friend. Then I found out he was a paedophile (The Guardian)
- Abused: Breaking the Silence, BBC One, review (The Telegraph)
- The men abused by Rosminians deserve compensation (Catholic Herald)
- Saint Michaels School, Soni, Tanzania (Soni Prison Camp) (St. Michael’s & St.George’s School, Iringa – Tanganyika REUNION)
The Grace Dieu Manor School is run by the Rosminians. They also ran other schools. The order ran a Yorkshire reform school near Market Weighton from 1857 until they were replaced in 1912. Out of three Rosminian rectors, two were moved after being criticised by authorities for the use of excessively severe punishments. In Ireland, the Rosminians ran two industrial schools, St Patrick’s in Upton, from 1889 to 1966, and St Joseph’s in Clonmel, from 1885 to 1999. The Ryan Report from the Ireland’s Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse document abuse at the schools. Several lawsuits have been filed and many were settled outside the court system.
It seems that the order neglected to report abusive staff only exchanging them to other places once the complaints became too many. It could not have been fun to be there as students.
This very alternative school was located first in California, then in Mexico until the started ended its time in Guatemala.
They used an alternative curriculum and the children attending the school were basically isolated in an environment organized like a cult.
The school closed in the 1990’s and both founders are now dead. It looks like a bad place to be as a student.
Underley Hall School had housed various schools since the 1940’s. Recently a case was opened against employees working there in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
The employees used a lot of brutal force to keep the student in place. A trial was resently started in response to the treatment the children received.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student.
- Underley Hall School staff ‘gouged eyes of pupils to instil fear’ (The Times)
- Men Go On Trial Over Alleged Historic Abuse At Underley Hall School (Lakeland Radio)
- Underley Hall staff instilled ‘fear and brutality’ (BBC News)
- Underley Hall School trial: Former pupil tells court he was left “battered and bruised” by alleged assault (The Westmor Land Gazette)
The Arcade Circus is a private circus school located in Katoomba. A number of employees were arrested charged on rape, kidnapping, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and production of child porn.
Needless so say that it does not sound like a fun place to be as a child.
- CIRCUS ‘CHILD SEX RING’ Seven circus school members ‘performed sadistic blood and sex rituals on three boys under eight in shocking child abuse ring’ (The Sun)
- Seven charged over sexual and physical abuse at Katoomba circus school: police (The Sydney Morning Herald)
- Group linked to performing arts school in regional NSW carried out ‘blood rituals’ during abuse of boys, police allege (ABC News Australia)