Mountain Park Academy was marketed as religious boarding school. It was located in Patterson, Missouri.
The conditions the teenagers were forced under included use of corporal punishment. Some of the students became so desperate to leave the school and the horrible environment that they killed a student because the conditions were better in prison. This tragedy for the Frutrelle family who lost a son is a prime example of how extreme religious boarding schools can push young lives over the edge. The horrible conditions at the school was the cause. The two murderers who was locked up for life became the tool.
It didn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Dad’s Death Crushed Granada Hills Youth (LA Times)
- Insiders Tell Of Boarding School, Past And Present (St Louis Post-Dispatch,)
- Factsheet about the facility (Fornits Wiki)
This is an odd post even for this blog. Normally when we write about a place it is because the children have mailed us with information about poor treatment. Normally the employees are responsible. Sometime it is just a negative peer group experience based on a toxic environment which the school allows to exist.
However in this case the students seemed to like the school. But some people in the community didn’t like the education provided. The youth would be become too informed to support the criminals cause. So they decided to attack the school with weapons and kill some students so the parents would pull their children and the entire community will sink down having only an uneducated population to support it.
A school like this should have a strong security. It should have guards. However the level of the security was too low and criminals were able to enter the school and kill some of the students. 42 students died.
It is safe to say that it was not fun as a child to be victim for such criminals.
Boys aged down to 7 were forced to enter a regime consisting of fear and corporal punishment. Today such a school would have been closed. A student died there. Fortunately while tragic caused by an illness and not the awful violence the employees were responsible for.
The boarding school is closed now. However it is still safe to state that it was not a place for children to stay while the school was in existence.
- ‘Oh no, another rotten caning coming up’… Broadcaster John Suchet recalls grim time at boarding school (The Daily Mail)
- The only time that Poirot was beaten (The Daily and Sunday Express)
- Grenham House (Friends ReUnited)
The Gunnery School was once recognized as a fine place to get your exam. Students could even avoid the cruel life boarding students normal speak about and be day students at the school. However lack of a security system to protect students against abuse from employees allowed the former Dean and house parent Robert Reinhardt to use 4 students in an improper way for which he got 9.5 years in prison. He will have to register as a sex offender when he is released.
It didn’t sound like a fun place to be as teenager. Hopefully the present management has improved the security and screening of employees so this terrible event will not be repeated in the future.
- Former Gunnery Dean gets 9.5 years in prison, 30 years probation (FACSA)
- The Sexual Abuse Case Against The Gunnery School & Dean Robert “Rino” Reinhardt (Smith Law Firm)
Living Water Refuge was funtamentalist Baptist boarding school located in Hartville, Missouri. It was closed by the authorities due to results of various investigation. They used corporal punishment.
It is safe to say that it was not a fun place to stay as a teenager.
- Factsheet about the facility
- Help-Living Water Refuge (Cult Education message board – a relatives concern)
- My Husband Ex wife (Dr. Phil message board – another relatives concern)
The (Lives under Construction aka LUC) ranch claims to be able to handle boys suffering from various mental issues. In the case of two boys the employees proved not to be proper educated because the wrong approach used on the boys created such an anger in the boys that they most likely went out and killed a marriaged couple down the road.
It is safe to state that the approach used by the ranch on the boys was far from professional and it cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
- When runaways kill – who is to blame (Secret Prisons for Teens blog)
- Teen Suspects Plead Not Guilty To Elderly Couple’s Murders: (Crime scene investigation blog)
- Factshet about the facility (Fornits Wiki)
According to a lawsuit the ranch are alleged to have covered sexual abuse up. It correct it would explain why the teenage runways were so desperate to escape from the ranch that they committed murders in order to do it. They must had been scared to death.
Suit: Missouri ranch for troubled boys covered up sex abuse (Southeastern Missourian)
Hope Baptist Bible Academy was investigated by the authorities and closed down. An Employees was convicted. They used corporal punishment.
It is safe to say that it couldn’t have been a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Reform school founder pleads guilty for assault on student (KY3 News)
- Factsheet about the school (Fornits Wiki)
Heaven’s View Christian Boarding Academy run by Rev. Judi Tillett seems to be closed. It is fine because restricted communication with parents, combined with odd punishments makes it safe to state that it wasn’t a fun place to be as a teenager.
Heartland Christian Academy uses corporal punishment. The authorities tried to intervene, but smart highpaid lawyers managed to get the school out of trouble.
A ruling the court doesn’t change the fact that it cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Physical Abuse – School of Last Resort (People Magazine)
- Heartland Christian Academy (Cult Education)
- Heartland Christian Academy! (The Lo Ammi Discussion Forum)
- Factsheet about the program (Fornits Wiki)
A few years back an english girl named Chanel Mare escaped from this private Christian detention. Luckily for her she managed to move back to England where she restablished her life. The remaining girls at the ranch were not so lucky. They continued to function as cheap labor in the field receiving “Christian” guidance.
It doesn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Horror Stories From Tough-Love Teen Homes (Mother Jones)
- Found Safe: Chanel More – MO – 4/21/2010 (Project Jason)
- Factsheet about the program (Fornits Wiki)