569. White River Academy
White River Academy started out as a wilderness program in Costa Rica but moved to Utah later. As a point one of employees were Randall Hinton known from the notorious Tranquility Bay. He was later sentenced in connection with another facility.
Various articles mention runaways and stabbing. It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- White River Academy in Delta, Utah is a private prison (When far from home)
- Millard teen arrested in stabbing at school (Deseret News)
- My friend has been sent off to white river academy and i’m really worried about him. (Reddit)
568. West Ridge Academy
West Ridge Academy was formerly known as Utah Boys Ranch but now it serves both genders.
Searching on the names the facility has been operated under you find lawsuits and other cases involving various aspect of abuse which leaves no question about whether it is not a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Allegations of abuse at prospective charter school splits Utah’s top school boards (Salt Lake Tribune)
- $11M suit filed against Utah treatment center for sexual abuse (KSL news)
- Mormon boot camp-West Ridge Academy–how bad is it? (Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum.)
567. Waterfall Canyon Academy
Waterfall Canyon Academy is located in Ogden in Utah. In the media the facility is known for runaways and explicit photos connected to an employee.
While it create some kind of safe environment for adults suffering from various illnesses like Autismn it does not sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
566. Uinta Academy
This facility located in Utah gets mixed reviews and a parent wrote on Fornits that she felt that the facility was very self-centered and they didn’t consult people on the outside even when it came to medications etc. That can provide a danger because facilities should work together and not just second-guess diagnoses so they can earn more money on analyses.
It can result in too long stays and that cannot be fun to be there as a teenager when this happen. Also a resident speaks of gender therapy being practised there.
- Unita Academy, Wellsville, UT (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- Testimonies from Yelp‘
- Second Nature Uintas (1998-present) Duchesne, UT (Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support)
An employee was fired for offensive posts
Cache Valley youth residential treatment center employee fired after ‘offensive’ posts discovered (Fox 13 News)
An employee was arrested and is awaiting sentence after he confessed. The nature of his crime in connection with his job is something which must lead people think about the safety of the confined youth at the facility.
staff member got arrested, now is being sentenced on May 1st. TW: pedophilia (Reddit r/Troubled Teens)
565. Stillwater Academy
Stillwater Academy located in Utah were in the years 2002-2004 the center of the media interests because they held artist Alex Asch detained on the orders of his parents who didn’t understand the concept of life his choice of life as an artist included.
Forced to take medication, cut off from the surrounding world, isolated from the life back home with friend and censorship of his work were just some of the things he experienced. He was released in 2004.
Just Call Them Crazy: Alex Asch on Forced Institutionalization from minor compositions on Vimeo.
It cannot be fun to be locked up as a teenager just because you do not share the same values of life as your parents.
- An activist gets kidnapped and subjected to brainwashing at Stillwater Academy Turnabout in to treat a “disease” ODD. ODD is defined as evidencing the symptom of “questioning authority” (Reddit)
- Just Call Them Crazy (Alternet)
- For you Utahns, Stillwater academy/Turnabout ? OT (Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum)
- Tough love thuggery under Jesus’ loving hands (FreethoughtBlogs.com)
- Nicolette’s story (BreakingCodeSilence)
564. Forest Hospital
Forest Hospital in Des Plaines is today mostly kwown for having housed artist Daphne Scholinski while they tried to treat her for a non-illness. It is not known how many teenagers who were treated without cause. However when they hospital was sold, news emerged that they have treated patients unnescesary collecting money for it. They were ordered to pay some of the money back.
It could not have been fun to be treated and even restrained for illnesses you do not suffer from.
- The Artistic Treatment (The Washington City Paper)
- Hospital’s Sale Will Pay Fraud Settlement (Chicago Tribune)
563. Turn-about Ranch
Turn-about Ranch was founded in 1989. Today it is mostly known for having housed Jemma Lucy and Danielle Bregoli aiding them making their career as they have it today.
Sadly it is also known for the tragic death of an employee caused by the stressful environment the ranch create for the newcomers to the ranch.
Robbed of modern things like heating and decent bed combined with being confined to a stone circle all day the only question is why it took so long for a murder to occur.
It cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Turn About Ranch…the worst of it. UTAH is filled with hell for young kids like this and this is a just a short part of my whole story there. Please make it aware for any parents wanting to send their kids to these correctional facilities. (Reddit)
- Will Danielle Bregoli replace Jemma Lucy as Turn-about Ranch most successful client? (WordPress)
- Teen who said he woke up ‘heartless’ accused of murdering Utah youth rehab worker (My Daily News)
- How low can she go? Jemma Lucy flashes it all while wearing no underwear and snogging female pal (The Mirror)
- Turn-About Ranch (1989-present) Escalante, UT (Breaking Code Silence)
In an article a former participant in the TV-show “Brat Camp” tells about how the stay impacted him negatively. It is clear that the entertainment show beside starting the career of Jemma Lucy did nothing to help the children from United Kingdom who has a more civilized youth culture compared to the one in the United States coping with the challenges they had.
Like Paris Hilton, I went to a Troubled Teen Camp, and it still gives me nightmares (I-News)
562. Sunrice RTC
This facility in Hurricane Utah is perhaps mostly known for the terrible traffic accident which claimed the lives of two residents. However the real issue is that the facility isolates the young female teenagers from their peers back home and use both restraints and isolation as punishment.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Testimonies from former residents (Asylum horrible)
- Information about employees (HEAL-online)
- Another testimony (Reddit)
561. Bernstorffsminde Efterskole
May 2017 the boarding school detained a number of students for hours without access to cell phones and banned them from talking to each other due to suspicion of having gained access to tobacco and alcohol which unlike the laws in the general society are banned from using at the school.
The students were not allowed to call in legal representation which put them in a worse situation if they had been arrested by the Danish police. In Denmark even minors have right to legal representation regardless of the type of crime they are arrested for.
46 students were suspended and in the end 16 students were expelled. According to sources several students who had access to the illegal items were not hit at all by the investigation conducted by the school. It might have something to do with the fact that the school focuses on sport and they use former students who did good after their time at the school in marketing. The suspicion is that the investigation only targeted students who were less successful doing their type of sport.
Anyhow without access to legal representation in such cases being confined in isolation it is safe to state that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
Sources (In danish only)
- Børns Vilkår: Efterskole krænkede børns rettigheder (Danmarks Radio)
- Efterskole bortviser 16 efter fund af snus og alkohol (Ekstra Bladet)
560. Climax Public School
Climax Public School – a boarding school located in the Jehanabad district in India is mentioned on several websites as a place where the school management are ready to put their students in chains in order to keep them in school. The authorities are investigating the matter. It is also stated that the school made use of corporal punishment.
It cannot be fun to be there as a child.