The idea sounds fine. Putting youth out on a ship so they can skip possible drug use. The execution far from fine. Lacking teachers and being confined in a foreign harbor where the children can go into town unaccompanied. According to a TV2 documentary in the Danish TV2, it did not take very long time before the teenagers connected with a local drug-dealer so they could smoke weed almost every day.
We are talking about an arrangement which put the taxpayers back some 39,800 dollars per student.
And we are not even talking about the security risk a teenager alone in another part of the world would risk. Fact is that some of the teenagers came back without proper schooling which they were promised and it is a huge setback for their future. That is not something which is fun for the teenager when reaching adulthood and face the reality of life without proper career due to lack of education.
- Brugte 247.422 kroner på at sende utilpasset elev til Caribien: – De ture skal simpelthen holde op (TV2 News – in Danish language)
- Young criminals have been sent on Caribbean cruises in an attempt to reform their behaviour (The Daily Telegraph)
- Skipper: Derfor skal unge kriminelle på sejltur til Caribien (Jydske Vestkysten – in Danish language)
- Kommune sendte kriminelle unge til Caribien: ‘Vi røg hash af kedsomhed’ (BT)
Guiding Hands School located in El Dorado Hills, California experienced a death of one the students, they had enrolled. A policy at the school seems to be confronting the students behavior in a very aggressive way. Maybe so aggressive that it is in violation with state rules. It is a subject of an investigation started after the tragic death.
When even restraint by staffmembers can be caused by a student not stop tapping a pencil on desk, then it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
This very alternative school was located first in California, then in Mexico until the started ended its time in Guatemala.
They used an alternative curriculum and the children attending the school were basically isolated in an environment organized like a cult.
The school closed in the 1990’s and both founders are now dead. It looks like a bad place to be as a student.
The Arcade Circus is a private circus school located in Katoomba. A number of employees were arrested charged on rape, kidnapping, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and production of child porn.
Needless so say that it does not sound like a fun place to be as a child.
- CIRCUS ‘CHILD SEX RING’ Seven circus school members ‘performed sadistic blood and sex rituals on three boys under eight in shocking child abuse ring’ (The Sun)
- Seven charged over sexual and physical abuse at Katoomba circus school: police (The Sydney Morning Herald)
- Group linked to performing arts school in regional NSW carried out ‘blood rituals’ during abuse of boys, police allege (ABC News Australia)
Paramount Academy is run by Camelot Education (Which has origins from the infamous Brown Schools which closed around 2005 due to upcoming lawsuits which would have bankrupted them).
It seems that this alternative school is run like a prison and the school district responsible for the operations at the school closed their eyes instead of providing an oversight which could have ensured the safety of the students.
In one incident a police investigation resulted in conviction of two school employees for violence against a student and a try to cover up the incident. The school administration which urged the employees to cover up the violence was not convicted.
It cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
- These For-Profit Schools Are ‘Like a Prison’ (Propublica and Slate)
- For-Profit School Chain Camelot Suffers Setback Following Abuse Allegations (Propublica and Slate)
Camelot Education provides special education services in Pennsylvania.
In order to do that they have created a structured environment. However teenagers find that the structured enviroment resembles prisons. Two employees where charged with violence and alleged cover-up of troublesome incidents. One employee went to prison.
It doesn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
A 13-year-old student had to have amputated a part of his leg after a so-called trained specialist slammed his body on the ground after a dispute. The facility contains the AIM program, the Muscogee County School District’s alternative school for students who violate the district’s conduct code and are temporarily assigned away from their home school.
Now the facility tries to defend themselves by claiming that the specialist was not their employee but someone from a company used in an outsourcing agreement. However, that defense is not good at all. You cannot not hire people from other firms and deny any responsibility.
Fact is that the boy is missing a part of his leg. That is enough to make it safe to state that it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Student’s leg amputated after contractor body-slammed him, lawyer says; police investigating (The Washington Post)
- Specialist who allegedly broke student’s leg wasn’t a school employee (The Ledger Enquirer)
Te Rakau Hua O Te Wao Tapu Trust is a Maori Community Theatre and Theatre in Education company. It is located in Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The teenagers aged between 12 and 16 present various performances using voluteers and troubled youth as staff and partipants.
In June 2011 there was allogations of the use of violence against some of the youth referred to the program. As result the local department of social services (CYF) removed some of the youth they had referred to the program.
It doesn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
Forced sexual relationships is no fun. Adding the fact that the school was unlicensed, unaccredited and virtually unregulated because it is a private, non-profit school doesn’t make it better.
The brainchild of “El General” aka Evaristo “Ever” Marina closed in 1989. However not before it had made a negative impact on the lives of several students.
It was not a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Small Town, Big Hell (Miami New Times News)
- Military School Unregulated. Legally Avoided U.S. Government . (Ocala Star-Banner – May 12, 1985)
- Hysteria High: How Demons Destroyed a Florida School (Medium)
- In 1979, An Entire Science Class Went “Berserk” After Being Hypnotized (Gizmodo)
Wolfeboro is a primitive summer school where parents can get their children detained at if the child does poorly in school. A former student wrote about this place:
Ugh it was a shit hole. It was this “Summer boarding school” but it was really just boot camp with school mixed in. It was extremely structured and there were no computers or cellphones or anything like that.
Another student wrote:
I went here as a high school student when my parents decided they wanted to punish me. I hated it. Hated, hated, hated it. Hated every moment of it. It’s sheer torture and a terrible place in every way. If you’re parents are sending you here, avoid it at all costs. It is an awful place.Dr3rdeye (September 19, 2009 at 07:18 AM)
I find it odd that such a place exist when we today are talking year 2014. No computers and no cell-phones outside classes. If my wallet gets stolen I cannot even go down to the policestation and report it. My grandmother tried and she was sent back home to report her crime to the police by computer. Everything is on a computer these days.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- And the pain will make you crazy, you’re the victim of your crime. (Blog entry)
- Wolfeboro Camp School (Testimony on Reddit r/TroubledTeens)
- Wolfeboro Camp School Inc (Merchant Circle)