Højer Design Efterskole is a so-called Continuation high school used as a gap year for Danish students between form 9 and 10 before they either leave the school system for work or continue in Gymnasium (High School). The students stay for a year with about 10 weekends off.
The school was founded in 2008 and is known to have expelled a large percentage of its students. In 2008 only 58 out of 90 students finished the year. In 2009 it was 49 out of 75 students. Some were expelled due the suspicion of have consumed alcohol just because they were in a happy mood (Alcohol is allowed for Danes aged 16 or high as long as the alcohol percentage is below the safe limit of 16.5.
The policy of expelling students seem to continue even this year.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager if your cultural origin dictates another way of living.
The Youth at Tennyson Center for Children are set to close. A child ran away and an investigation showed problems with the level of care the children were receiving. On Indeed many employees complained about lack of communication with the management and a high turn-over of employees.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Pa. lawmakers urge sweeping reform after Delco youth facility closure (The Philadelphia Inquirer, LLC)
- Tennyson Center for Children Employee Reviews (Indeed)
- Denver’s Tennyson Center to close its residential program after runaways, overdoses and child’s death (Colorado Sun)
The Wolston Park Hospital located in Queensland housed mentally ill between the 1950’s and 1980’s. Reports in local media mention the children were exposed to repeated rapes, sexual assaults – by both staff and adult patients – torture, chemical restraints, cigarette burns, fear, isolation and degrading humiliation.
Today it is known as The Park Centre for Mental Health – hopefully it is managed in a different way.
It is safe to state that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Harrowing stories of rape, chemical restraints and humiliation (Brisbane Times)
- Mental asylum mass exhumations and missing remains: the tale of Wolston Park’s lost and forgotten patients. (The Bottom Drawer Book)
- Wolston Park victim: ‘I got them to believe I wasn’t mad’ (The Queensland Times)
Loretto School located near Edinburgh apologized for the abuse some of the former students suffered by the hands of employees who were working there when the abuse took place.
Former students took the brave step to come forward and testify about what kind of abuse they suffered and as result further investigation took place.
It cannot have been fun to be there as a student when the abuse took place.
- Boarding schools apologise ‘unreservedly’ over abuse (TES News)
- Professor tells of sex abuse at top school Many prominent men were victims at Loretto over 16 years, claims academic (The Herald)
- Sexually abused during his time at Loretto School, Don Boyd returns to Edinburgh and launches a book incorporating his abuse (The Scotsman)
The Devereux organization established their Texas department in 1959 and it is one out of many departments across the United States.
Searching on the facility articles speak of possible sexual attack on children and riots. An article points out that the management was not observant enough setting up guidelines which could have prevented these incidents.
Feedback from former patients on Google is not that positive
I use to live here. They played favoritism. When it was time for prom they told us if you walk out of school or anywhere else you will not attend prom but that was a lie. The counselors never cared. Never listened to you. I cant wait to show up one day to surprise everyone. Cause this place needs to be shut down. After me and another client left me and her still talked i told her i was pregant and told me someone from Devereux could take care of my baby. Umm what? The baby would have a better life. I miscarried. But for staff to still be connected with residents is a little disturbing. This place is not worth it. Dont come here EVER!Stephanie Rodriguez
Horrible communication good luck getting any information after spending 3 days calling leaving messages and never getting a callback I tried the number my insurance company provided and spoke to a super rude disgruntled employee who informed me they were long term not short term(1-2months inpatient) facility which is NOT clearly stated on their website. If the initial intake is this incompetent I can’t imagine how services could bemonique mcgillen
It does not sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Mental health worker faces slew of charges after being accused of sexually assaulting 4 children (Click 2 Houston)
- 9 arrested at Devereux Advanced Behavior Health facility (RC News Chant)
- At the nation’s leading behavioral health nonprofit for youth, Devereux staff abused children in their care for years — while red flags were dismissed. (The Philadelphia Inquirer, LLC)
- Mother of teen with autism demanding answers from facility he went missing from and Phoenix PD (ABC 15 Arizona)
- Valley mother asks for community’s help to find missing teen with autism (ABC 15 Arizona)
- DOZENS OF CHILDREN REPORT SEXUAL ABUSE AT DEVEREUX ADVANCED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH (Cohen & Malad, LLP)
- New lawsuit alleges Devereux failed to protect at least six children from abuse (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
- Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health Staff Sexual Abuses Class Action Lawsuit (Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP)