A number of students have given feedback related to this place which seems to be located on the campus of the closed Brightway Adolescent Hospital.
One of the negative testimonies states:
This place works by breaking your child down until he/she literally believes they are NOTHING. once they are so traumatized and stripped of any feelings of self worth, ERA build them back up again and molds them however they want to. For some.. the outcome is probably better than the alternative but the tactics and way in which they do it is WRONG. there are better option and safer ways. NO child should be denied phonically to their parents. Jails don’t even do that! no child should be forced to carry around backpacks full of sand for weeks at a time. NO child should be denied the right to use the bathroom. This place is a mess and the techniques they use are dangerous. I’m happy it worked for some but parents PLEASE seek alternative options before sending your kids here. PLEASE.. IT was the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I’ve had major set backs because of it. They accept everyone so if your kid is just smoking pot or getting in trouble at school he could be bunking up with a gang member or meth addict. Its all about the money with these people. IF you have it, they’ll take it and make sure you keep your kid there to get “help”.
It doesn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Eagle Ranch Academy – reviews (Merchantcircle)
- My younger brother’s best friend just got “transported” to Eagle Academy Ranch in Utah. Is anybody familiar with this place? (Reddit Troubled Teen message board)
- Factsheet about the program (Fornits Wiki)
- staff list for Eagle Ranch Academy in St. George, UT (HEAL-online)
According to research done by posters on the message board Fornits, this program was started by people who were connected to the infamous Skyline Journey wilderness program where a boy died.
It means that it seems to be a risky business to send a child to this program.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- eaglequest nature camp in Utah (A thread on Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- staff list for Eagle Quest Outdoor Youth Development Program in Nephi, UT (HEAL-online)
Mesabi Academy in Minnesota operates like a private detention facility. They were in the media for not reporting possible abuse to the authorities. Instead they were aiming at legal action against the county in order to keep their business.
Private detention facilities are supposed to be punishment. However this kind of abuse was not written down by the judges who sent the juveniles to the facility. What the tax-payers get for their money is teenagers tormented by these possible acts of abuse which easy can lead them further into a line of crimes once they are released. Hunger Strikes among the teenagers are also seen.
It is cannot be fun to be there as a teenager (it shoudn’t but this is extreme.)
- Mesabi Academy staff probed over reported abuse (Mesabi Daily News)
- MPR: Abuse cover-up at Buhl juvenile center (Minnesota Brown)
- Boy treated during hunger strike at Mesabi Academy (Duluth News Tribune)
- Private juvenile center conceals abuse inquiries and pressures county to keep its business deal (Minnesota Public Radio)