“Vildmarken kalder” also known as Vildmarksprojektet was an illegal residential treatment option used by Danish authorities from around 2005 and some years after. The youth were sent to Norway and placed at remote locations in Sweden and Norway. Regardless that it was against the law to place minors abroad according to Danish legislation several departments of social services made use of this so-called treatment program. The manager had no relevant education. In fact he was trained auto mechanic.
The youth were met with physical violence. No case worker report him for his illegal use of force as they were required to according to Danish law. Neither employees from the treatment program nor case workers have been disciplined for their work and use of this illegal treatment program.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Først blev de anbragt i Helvede – så splittede kommunen søstrene op og svigtede dem igen (TV2 Nyhederne – Danish language)
- Forbandede barndom (Google books – Danish language – ISBN-10: 8771596453)
A 15-year-old girl died from pneumonia after having been sick for 3 weeks placed in foster care at aged 10 after her mother briefly was hospitalized.
When the mother regained her health the social services wouldn’t let her home. As a stigmatized single mother there are not much her mother could have done legally against the Swedish social services which in a country with strong socialist roots are a kingdom of their own.
So the girl settled at the Horse farm where she was placed.
Even being a kingdom of their own the social services had a few rules they were supposed to follow. They should:
- Visit the girl from time to time securing that she a good life
- Make sure that a girl like this would alone in the placement because her papers stated that it should be so
- Make sure that one the foster parents was at home. The foster family was paid so one of parents didn’t need another job.
But the foster parens were busy with their horse breading. There were 5 children placed at this foster family.
So when the girl got sick the girl was not taken to the hospital. Doctors appointment at home also never took place.
She died untreated after 3 weeks of illness. She was buried in an unmarked grave by the social services so the scandal could be forgotten.
It could not have been fun to be placed in foster care in Sweden under these conditions.
Sources (some in local language):
- 15-year-old Donia dead from mono in Swedish foster care (blog)
- Donia dog – “glömdes bort” av fosterföräldrarna (Aftonbladet)
- Mindre värde än en hund (Astrid’s miljö og samhällsblogg)
Lutheran Social Services of the South is a foster care agency which used to handle a number of cases for the State Department of Family and Protective Services in Texas. They were told to stop handling new cases due to their neglect of their duties.
Poorly managed and neglected background checks of foster families led to deaths of children in foster care. About 8 children die in foster care every year in Texas.
It cannot be fun to be there as a child or a teenager.
State punishes Austin-based foster care agency in death of Orion Hamilton (Statesman)