Magnolia Christian Center was a summer boot camp so parents could have time off during the holiday instead of raising their children. Corporal punishment was used.
Fortunately the program seems to be closed.
It didn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
Yet another Christian Home believing in violence.
A former student wrote:
One of the punishments there that I experienced and which most disturbed me was isolation. I once mentioned atheism to another girl there, she told a staff member, and they separated me from the rest of the girls in the home. I was not allowed to talk to or even look at the other girls for a month. I was in a room in the other end of the house, by myself and could only talk to staff members when they talked to me. This was called being on “group separation” and “silence”. Though I never experienced it, I certainly heard the effects of what they called “licks”, which were spankings. Other punishments included writing sentences, standing against the wall (from 30 minutes to hours at a time), being on silence, and being on separation from individual girls. Even though most girls are sent there after being sexually and emotionally abused at home or in various foster homes, there is absolutely no counselor in the house.
It does not sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Testimony from a former student (Tales from the black school)
- Hope Christian Home And Academy, Duck Hill, MS (Fighting Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICANetwork.net))
- Staff list for Hope Home and Academy in Duck Hill, MS (HEAL-online)
Use of stress positions like being forced to rest on your knees with a pencil under them, corporal punishment combined with loss of access to television, internet and extended social network which is important for teenagers of today sounds not like it would be fun for any teenager.
It is doubtful that any God would approve of that.
This place existed between 1969 and 1995. The security was poor so several students down to age 8 were forced to have sex with intruders. Among those who should have stopped this abuse was former chainman of the Co-operative Bank and Methodist minister Flowers.
One thing is to be removed from home and your parents. Another thing is to be forced to have sex with stronger unknown men who put you in risk of contracting AIDS.
It does not sound to have been placed there.
- Files reveal the full horror of sexual abuse at Knowl View school (The Manchester Evening News)
- Factsheet of the facility (Fornits Wiki)
After the failure with Bethel Boys and Girls academy and an attempt to restart the business, the Fountains sold the operation to the WWASP group. WWASP had a feared facility on Jamaica named Tranquility Bay. For some reasons the government in Jamaica was tired of the bad press, so they put the management of Tranquility Bay under pressure. WWASP decided to relocate the students from Jamaica to Lucedale, but as always they hired lowpaid employees not suited to handle the job. Also a number of hurricanes had damaged the buildings and neither the Fountains or WWASP had other thing in mind than profit so they didn’t fix the buildings. As result it was chaos with students running away.
The facility did only last a year or two before it shut down.
Anyhow it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
The facility was also mentioned as Christian Life Academy. It was located near Hattiesburg in Mississippi.
Its was yet another so-called Christian boarding school involving yet another police investigation. It became yet another example of a place where they used violence as corporal punishment is against teenagers.
A lawsuit which was settled mentioned cases where a Reverend allegedly paddled pregnant teens and detained a 19-year-old against her will. It is mentioned that a girl died while trying to escape the facility in 1980.
After the closure of the program, the manager Reverend Bob Wills went on the establish Mountain Park Baptist Boarding Academy, which closed after 2 students murdered another to escape the horrible conditions at the Missouri boarding school.
Fortunately no teenagers can be tormented there anymore as the campus burned down.
It could not have been fun to live there as a teenager.
- BAPTIST ‘BOOT CAMPS’ IN NEED OF WATCHFUL EYES (BAPTIST TALIBAN and beyond)
- HOME’S EX-INMATES TELL OF BEATINGS (The New York Times)
- Insiders Tell of Boarding School Past and Present (St. Louis Post-Dispatch – Cult Education Institute)
- Baptist Boarding Schools Close in Missouri, Florida (Unmarried America – about the closure of the school in Missouri)
- Connie Irene Munson – 1980 (Today a child died memorial blog)
Owned by the same people who ran the Bethel Boys Academy the girl home also had its problems. The authorities removed the girls for their own safety.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a teenager.
Corporal punishment, raids by the authorities followed by taking a number of new names trying to restart the business and prevent parents from finding out the truth.
It doesn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Bethel Boys Academy changes name (Sun Herald from AP wire)
- Parents sue Bethel Boys Academy; Cadets beaten, forced to work at military style school, lawyer says (The Clarion-Ledger)
- They call us the Bethel Survivors (Reddit Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support)
- Bethel Stories – John (Bethel Boy 1997 – 1999) #BethelBoys (Reddit Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support)
- BETHEL DOCUMENTARY
- Bethel Boys Academy, Lucedale, MS (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
The Wilson Center (full name Constance Bultman Wilson Center) in Faribault Minnesota does no longer exist. It was sold in 2009.
In the public it was mostly known for the poor treatment of Nikki Bacharach who lived there for 10 years suffering from Aspergers which was not known as an illness. As result she didn’t get the treatment she needed and she properly ended her life based on the teaching of the center many years later. The Center also experimented with treating teenagers suffering from gender identity problems, which was not helpful.
Being treated for something there is no treatment against cannot be fun for any teenager.
- Angie Dickinson: Mothering a Daughter with Asperger’s (Parent Dish)
- The Last Time I Wore a Dress (Book view by Jamie Faye Fenton)
- Burt Bacharach Felt Daughter Never Forgave Him for Separating Her & Mom Angie Dickinson — He Refused to Read Her Death Note (AmoMama)
- HOMOSEXUALITY OR `DISORDER’? (Chicago Tribune)