820. Camp E-Kel-Etu
Camp E-Kel-Etu was a wilderness program operating under the ownership of Eckerd Youth Alternatives. The company was founded by Jack and Ruth Eckerd.
In year 2000 a 12 year old boy died crushed to death by a 270 pound so-called counselor trying to restrain the boy. Legal loop holes cleared the employee of possible charges.
Years later not able to live on with the death of her son, the mother died.
In 2011 the camp closed.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- DCF closes investigation of Eckerd youth camp (Ocala.com)
- Boy, 12, dies after restraint at camp (Tampa Bay Times)
- Michael Ibarra-Wiltsie – 2000 (Today a child died – memorial blog)
- Help agency takes over youth camp (Ocala.com)
819. Havregaarden Kostskole
Havregaarden Kostskole was a boarding school used by the social services in Denmark. In 2020 a number of articles revealed conditions at the school which proved unacceptable and as result the authorities decided that the boarding school should closed.
There have been suicide attempts, sexual assaults among students, violence and illegal restraints at the school. The manager even dressed up as convicted submarine murderer Peter Madsen.
It could not have been fun to be at the school as a teenager.
- Skandaleramt kostskole lukker (News about the closure of the boarding school – Ekstra-Baldet – in Danish language )
- Seksuelle overgreb, vold og selvmordsforsøg på kostskole: ‘Det er svigt på svigt’ (Description of various issues at the school – Denmarks Radio – in Danish language )
- Efter svigt og overgreb: Nu lukker kostskole i Nordsjælland (News about the closure of the boarding school – Denmarks Radio – in Danish language )
A trial started against the manager. Among the news mentioned in relation with the trial was that a student was forced to attend the schools morning assembly in underwear only.
- Tvunget til morgensamling i underbukser (Avisen.dk – in Danish language )