253. The Army and Navy Academy, Carlsbad
Lawsuits, culture of violence, cover-ups and inaction is some of the key-words which are mentioned when people talk about this academy. Alleged sexual molestation as another lawsuits tells does not improve the reputation.
It cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
A former head-master was sentended to 48 years in prison for molesting a student (Source: Ex-boarding school head gets 48 years for molesting student – San Diego Union Tribune)
- New lawsuit alleges abuse at academy (The San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Army and Navy Academy in Carlsbad (Fighting Institutional Child Abuse Network message board)
Lawsuits continue to pile up
252. Cyprus House, Lynnwood
We don’t know what was wrong with Cyprus House. What we do know is that the place proved too much for 15 year old Roger Eugene Benson. He left the facility and jumped down on I-5 killing himself. Before his placement at Cyprus House he had been shipped around to a number of facilities after having been taken from his parents for unknown reason perhaps only to meet certain production criterias. The system sometime have to prove that they are needed and then some kids just have to go to foster care to prove this point.
He wasn’t happy being there as a teenager and in the end he met the choice to take his own life.
- The life and death of a teenager in state care (My North West)
- Victim list 2010 – (Fornits Wiki)
251. Forest Hill Circle home, North Carolina
This group home which was operated by the Divine Guidance Integrated Services focused very much on profit. In fact the local media states that one of the employees told a 16 year old girl that “…Girl, do you know how much EMS cost…”.
The girl had pains and a day later she was dead due to blood clots in her lungs. The facility closed down – too late for 16 year old Dyskeha Streeter.
To live in such a place where you are left alone with your pains perhaps even knowing that you will be checking out from this life soon cannot be fun for any teenager.
- State Fines Group Home Where Girl Died (WITN news)
- Girl dies at Divine Guidance Integrative Services, March2011 (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- Dyskeha Streeter – 2011 (Today a child died – memorial blog)
- The fifth death in 2011 (Secret Prisons for Teens blog)
250. Childserv group home in Naperville, Illinois
Once in the system some children end up being shipped among various group homes and foster families without anyone listened to their individual needs.
15 year old Caitlin Lee was such a girl. She lived at a place where she had it fine. Then she was moved to a group home run by ChildServ, which she found hard to call her home. She ran away no less than 6 times before she made the choice to end her young life.
For Caitlin Lee it is safe to say that this Childserv group home in Naperville was no fun place to be for her as a teenager.
Girl’s Suicide Raises Question About Home For Troubled Youth (Chicago CBS)
249. OhioGuidestone group home in Berea
A teenager started a fight but got crushed in the events which led to his death at an age of only 15. While it is not acceptable for any person to use violence it is also important to question the guidelines letting a smaller question of medication to grow into a fight.
It seems that it is not fun to be a the group home as a teenager.
Teen who died following altercation at Berea group was physically restrained (Northeast Ohio Media Group – Cleveland.com)
248. Sky View Academy
Sky View Academy was one of the former WWASP facilities. It existed only for about 2 years before it lost its license due to a fight between several students caused by lack of supervision and care from the employees.
It could not have been fun to be sent there as a teenager.
- Factsheet about the facility (Fornits wiki)
- Teen Claims Abuse at Christian Academy (Courthouse News Service)