916. Crockett State School
Crockett State School was a youth prison that closed in 2011. Official reason was budget cuts.
Various sources speak of a death of a certain 17-year-old Demetrius Jeffries August 26, 1997. March 16, 2009 a 14-year old boy which was not identified in the media was found dead. Apparently he managed to hang himself using his underwear. At least that is the official reports as told in newspaper articles.
Other articles speak of relationships between detainees and the adult employees taking a nature which was a crime. Other reports speak of the use of restraint used as a weapon of fear.
Of course it was a prison and it was not a nice place to be as a teenager.
- Candid Camera on Carey (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- TYC vows to get answers about teen’s hanging (The Houston Chronicle)
- Letter to Judy Preston – Chief, Special Litigation Section (Advocacy Incorporated)
- Crockett State School (Wikipedia)
- Child Protective Services – Dallas,Tx. – Dallas Texas (Ripoff Report)
915. Gravenshoved Kostskole
Gravenshoved Kostskole was a boarding school for children in need. It was located in the South of Jutland. It opened in 1964 and closed in 1992. Despite the stay being paid for and the children referred from various departments of social services in Denmark, the supervision of the facility and welfare of the children during their stay were not monitored by employees of the department who saw to that the children were sent to the school.
As result the children suffered from various forms of abuse subjected on them from the hands of the employees. The department of social services learned about the abuse in 2009 but properly out of concern of the careers of the employees who neglected their duties, the reportings were not handed over to the police before newspapers started to investigate the closed boarding school in 2021.
Only almost two decades after the school closed the police started their investigation which is still ongoing. It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Kommune bekræfter: Fik henvendelse om overgreb for over tolv år siden – først nu er sagerne politianmeldt (BT – in Danish language)
- Politi rykker ind i sag om Gravenshoved Kostskole (BT – in Danish language)
- 31 tidligere elever klager over kostskole: ‘Vi skulle være glade, om så det skulle tæskes ind i os’ (Danmarks Radio – in Danish language)
- Kommune går til politiet: Angst og overgreb var hverdag for elever på kostskole (Nordjyske – in Danish language)
A report concluded that there could be basis for criminal charges if they can manage to put them together before they come too old to conduct a trial according to Danish law. Also human rights violations were judged to have taken place at the school.
- Både straffelov og menneskerettigheder brudt, konkluderer rapport: Det siger kommunen (TV2 Nord – in Danish language)
914. Kanakuk Kamps
Kanakuk Kamps is religious influenced summer camp located in Montana. It was founded in 1926.
Recently there have been some focus on sexual abuse of the young people attending the summer camp. In 2010 a former camp director was put in prison. Other articles claim that the management of the camp tried to prevent victims to state their stories publicly.
Many people today question when the management knew of the abuse and how they tried to handle it and whether they alerted the authorities in time.
It could not have been fun to be there as one of the unknown number of victims.
- Kanakuk Kamps Abuse Reexamined In New Report (Christianity Today)
- Kanakuk: An Evangelical Empire With a History of Sexual Abuse (Facts about Kanakuk)
- I-Team: Victims Gather To Speak Out About Sexual Abuse At Popular Christian Camp (11/21 CBS DFW)
- Kanakuk Kamps Tried to Punish a Victim’s Family for Refusing to Sign a Non-Disparagement Agreement (The Dispatch)
- ‘They Aren’t Who You Think They Are’ (The Dispatch)
- Lawsuit Says Kanakuk Knew of Abuser’s Behavior At Least 6 Years Before Finally Firing Him (Ministry Watch)
912. Cate School
The Cate School which is a boarding school located in Carpinteria, California was founded in 1910. Recently articles about alleged sexual abuse appeared in various medias. An investigation made by the local sheriff has been launched into the matter.
Also it has been revealed that some kind of abuse took place over several decades dating back to at least the 1960’s. Private law firms are gathering behind possible victims to help them with lawsuits.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager if you were among the victims.
- Elite Cate School in Carpinteria Under Scrutiny for Sexual Assault Allegations (Taylor & Ring)
- Sexual abuse allegations at elite Carpinteria boarding school prompt sheriff’s investigation (Los Angeles Times)
- Cops investigate allegations of sexual abuse at $55,000-a-year LA boarding school after school’s own probe into historic abuse (The Daily Mail)
- Authorities investigate allegations of sexual abuse at Cate school (Good Word News)
- Report details allegations of misconduct at Cate School as far back as 1960s (Los Angeles Times)