St. Joseph’s Orphanage in Burlington, Vermont opened around 1850 and was in operation until 1974 where it closed down. Part of its existence it was operated by the Vermont Catholic Charities.
A recent investigation uncovered that abuse had taken place. Some survivors of the facility claims that children were murdered at the facility but the investigation found no reason to bring charges against anyone – perhaps too much time has passed and there would be none to charge because they have died in the years since the facility closed.
It is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- We Saw Nuns Kill Children: The Ghosts of St. Joseph’s Catholic Orphanage (Buzzfeed News)
- St. Joseph’s Orphanage investigation finds no crimes, but abuse occurred (Burlington Free Press)
- Former residents of St. Joseph’s Orphanage recount horrific abuse, want day in court (VT Digger)
- St. Joseph’s Orphanage abuse survivors want diocese to pay for therapy (WAX 3 News)
Gravenshoved Kostskole was a boarding school for children in need. It was located in the South of Jutland. It opened in 1964 and closed in 1992. Despite the stay being paid for and the children referred from various departments of social services in Denmark, the supervision of the facility and welfare of the children during their stay were not monitored by employees of the department who saw to that the children were sent to the school.
As result the children suffered from various forms of abuse subjected on them from the hands of the employees. The department of social services learned about the abuse in 2009 but properly out of concern of the careers of the employees who neglected their duties, the reportings were not handed over to the police before newspapers started to investigate the closed boarding school in 2021.
Only almost two decades after the school closed the police started their investigation which is still ongoing. It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Kommune bekræfter: Fik henvendelse om overgreb for over tolv år siden – først nu er sagerne politianmeldt (BT)
- Politi rykker ind i sag om Gravenshoved Kostskole (BT)
- 31 tidligere elever klager over kostskole: ‘Vi skulle være glade, om så det skulle tæskes ind i os’ (Danmarks Radio)
- Kommune går til politiet: Angst og overgreb var hverdag for elever på kostskole (Nordjyske)
The Cate School which is a boarding school located in Carpinteria, California was founded in 1910. Recently articles about alleged sexual abuse appeared in various medias. An investigation made by the local sheriff has been launched into the matter.
Also it has been revealed that some kind of abuse took place over several decades dating back to at least the 1960’s. Private law firms are gathering behind possible victims to help them with lawsuits.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager if you were among the victims.
- Elite Cate School in Carpinteria Under Scrutiny for Sexual Assault Allegations (Taylor & Ring)
- Sexual abuse allegations at elite Carpinteria boarding school prompt sheriff’s investigation (Los Angeles Times)
- Cops investigate allegations of sexual abuse at $55,000-a-year LA boarding school after school’s own probe into historic abuse (The Daily Mail)
- Authorities investigate allegations of sexual abuse at Cate school (Good Word News)
- Report details allegations of misconduct at Cate School as far back as 1960s (Los Angeles Times)
St Joseph’s College was founded by the De La Salle Brothers, which is a order of monks. The school opened in 1937.
Like to many boarding schools run by religious orders, claims of abuse has risen. Around 20 ‘old boys’ have since written in to allege physical and sexual abuse by teachers at the school between the 1960s and 1980s. The Suffolk police has started an investigation.
Articles speak on an environment you will not see as fun to be in when you are a teenager.
Established in 1933 the school is located in St. Petersborg in Florida offering both boarding and day school.
Searching for information about the school articles about sexual abuse and racism seem to set the agenda.
At these years we should be past the times where color matter. A School administration should be able to see if an employee oversteps his boundaries.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Admiral Farragut Academy faces lawsuits for bullying, racial harassment (Fox 13 News)
- Former Chester County teacher arrested on sex assault charges (6 ABC News)
- Former Church Farm School Teacher Sentenced for Sexual Abuse of Student (ChesCo)
- 2nd Bullying Lawsuit Filed Against Admiral Farragut Academy (Spectrum 9 News)
St Joseph’s Industrial School located Letterfrack, Northern Ireland was open between 1887 to 1974. It was run by the Congregation of Christian Brothers.
The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse concluded that residents at the facility suffered both physical and sexual abuse from some of the employees.
One of the boys who were subjected to the abuse later committed suicide by setting fire to himself.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a teenager.
This is the second boarding school campus where unmarked graves have been located. Beside teaching in ordinary school subjects the aim with the school was to eliminate the culture of the students.
The identity of the people who were put into the 751 unmarked graves is not known nor how they ended up there.
The students were kept away from their family and the conditions were not healthy.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- She saw the horrors of Marieval Residential School as a child 60 years ago. As an adult, something drew her back (The Toronto Star)
- ‘I could have been one of them’: Survivor recounts abuse at Marieval Indian Residential School (CTV News)
- Canada: 751 unmarked graves found at residential school (BBC)
- Marieval Indian Residential School (Wikipedia)
Chartwell Manor School located near Mendham in New Jersey closed in 1984. It was a boarding school for special need children.
Before that it was the center of a case involving the head master Sir Terence Michael Lynch who were brought to trial accused for 100 counts of sexual assault and other charges for spanking half-naked male students in class while fondling them and forcing students to perform sexual acts. He served 7 years in prison. Two other employees charged with sexual assault and sexual conduct.
Recently former student sued because they felt that they were failed by the system to become victim of this abuse. Also a book has been released covering the facility.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student.
- Two former students file sexual abuse lawsuits against shuttered Mendham boarding school (Daily Record)
- Chartwell Manor (Fantagraphics)
- Sex abuse rituals at NJ boarding school exposed — in cartoons by survivor (New York Post)