The heritage of Hannah Neil is located in the state of Ohio. A report shows a number of issues at this facility which serves children down to the age of 5.
Some of the issues are about the poor standards of the building. Some are related to the actions of the employees like:
- Staff lifting a child off the ground, flipping him into an upside-down position, and walking off camera with the child in an upside-down position. The staff holds onto the child’s chest and legs, while the child’s head is near the staff’s knees. The child’s inability to move qualifies this action as an unapproved restraint. This action is not therapeutic and is indicative of a traumatic abusive incident;
- Staff lifting a child off the ground by the child’s shorts and shirt and throwing the child through the air into the child’s room;
- Staff allowing children to hit, kick and hold down other children without immediate intervention or implementing de-escalation techniques. At times, staff seems to be encouraging the behavior.
- Staff putting child into a chokehold;
- Staff pushing children to the floor;
- Staff kicking a child while the child is in a restraint;
- Staff holding child’s own hands against child’s neck with force during a restraint;
- Staff grabbing children by their arms, legs, clothing and dragging them out of the room (noticeably, out of the video camera range);
- Staff kicking open a child’s bedroom door.
Needless to say that it cannot be fun to be there as a child.
- REPORT: Persistent Problems at Hannah Neil (Disability Rights Ohio)
- Children Discharged From Columbus Treatment Center After Abuse Investigation (WOSU Radio)
Orion Family Services runs a number of group homes in Wisconsin. One of them – Spohn Avenue House for Girls – was located in Madison.
The authorities closed the group home down after the employees first failed to monitor a girl who was as risk of committing suicide after her family was denied visit, secondary they failed to intervene in the right way once they discovered that the girl was in the process of hanging herself. The group home had not trained the employees correctly according to regulation and the state had not visited the group home as often as they should do.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Family of sexual assault, suicide victim file wrongful death lawsuit against group home (Channel 3000 news)
- Group home staff failed to monitor, aid teenage rape victim who hung herself, lawsuit claims (Wisconsin State Journal)
The Miracle Meadows boarding school losely affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventists movement was founded in 1988. It has been closed after an investigation showed that the school administration tried to hide that students were handcuffed to beds and subjected to rape and beatings.
The founder of the school was arrested because she did not report the abuse but tried to hide it from the authorities.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student.
Knights of the Crystal Blade is one of the many small church communities who divert their belief a little bit from the more common version of mormonism.
Recently the police investigated the church community because it was suspected that the community was involved in the disappearence of pre-teens with the aim of getting the “ready” for marriage at a young age.
The police has made a number of arrest and some has ended in conviction resulting in lenghty prison time.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
Belmont Abbey School was a school being run in connection with Belmont Abbey in Herefordshire. It was closed in the 1990’s.
Recently there were an investigation into possible sexual abuse resulting in a police action.
It is safe to say that some students did not find it very funny to be groomed by adults.
Buckfast Abbey Preparatory School existed between 1967 and 1994 before rumors closed the school due to low enrollment. Two monks were later arrested and convicted of sexual abuse of some of the boys who attended the school.
It could not have been fun to be student at this school.
Ampleforth College founded in 1802 has been in the media as a place where rape was used a punishment. The present management has tried to clean up but previous managements covered up what took place.
Not only the previous management covered up the abuse. They also made deals with other schools to fix the price for schooling at a high level leaving the poor parent pay a lot of money to have their children abused.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student under previous managements.
The Aston Hall psychiatric hospital operated from around 1930 to 1993. Recently investigation did show that the employees conducted experiments on the children and adults at the hospital. Rape seemed also to have taken place.
It could not have been fun to be there as patient.
The Muzaffarpur shelter home in the Bihar province in India was shown to cover over a terrible secret. The woman and minors who had to live there were forced to tolerate the abuse committed by employees and the owner. The investigation did progress very fast as the authorities seemed not to take interest in the ordeals the women were put through.
It could not have been fun to be there.