CALO Teens also known as Calo Institute was mentioned in the media due the imprisonment of an employee which has sex with a 14-year-old girl he encountered working for the so-called residential treatment center.
A quick research shows children running away from the facility too. People from the LGBT community complains about the treatment, they received as teenagers.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Former Calo Worker Sent to Prison for Violating Probation (KRMS radio)
- CALO’s Connections and Huey’s “Secret” (The American Spring Network)
- THOMAS VICTOR RILEY – 2009 (CALO – CHANGE ACADEMY LAKE OF THE OZARKS)
- I want you to know about my former treatment center which claims to be LGBT friendly but actually abuses LGBT teens (Reddit)
The childrens home Strandberg was located in Virum. It was a so-called Christian children’s home and it seems that the manager sometime weighed religion over mental diagnoses. The former manager died in 2014.
It could not have been fun to be placed there as a child in need of special professional care.
The Bryn Estyn care home which have been closed was in the news due to the trial against a former employee. The buildings now house a conference center named Erla Centre. Former employees were sentenced for offenses like violating boys as young as 12, offences of buggery, attempted buggery and indecent assault.
It is safe to conclude that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
The police in Wales are doing an investigation in the past at Children’s home called Operation Flight. One of the results were the conviction of former employees at the Ty Mawr School near Monmouthshire.
A total of 23 years jail were handed out and the employees were ordered to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives.
It cannot have been fun to be there as a child
Boysville Children’s Home in Converse, Texas is mentioned in the media due to an arrest of a now former employee. The charges against him is Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child.
It remains unclear which kind of precautions that has been introduced to prevent this and how the management failed to set up simple guidelines which could have prevented the alleged abuse.
For now it is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
Year 2020 became the year where the management realized that they could not manage to provide a modern treatment approach. For too long they used a punishment styled approach against the children placed at the facility by the social services. It has not been acceptable in Denmark since Godhavn was forced to change its way in 1972 but for some reasons the facility managed to stay under the radar for decades.
In 2019 now grown-up former residents started a campaign to shut it down and with the boost of Paris Hilton’s documentary, even locally where the facility experienced some protection due to the number of jobs they provided realized that it was time to change but in fact it proved impossible to update 50 years of neglect in a short while. So the result became the closure.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Behandlingshjemmet Schuberts Minde lukker: Forstander har sagt op – medarbejdere afskediges (Dagbladet Ringkøbing-Skjern – article in Danish language)
- Behandlingshjemmet Schuberts Minde lukker: – Vi er nødt til at handle nu (TV Midtvest – article in Danish language)
- Forstander Jørn Birk Nielsen stopper øjeblikkeligt på Schuberts Minde (Dagbladet Ringkøbing-Skjern – article in Danish language)
A number of incidents involving alleged assault resulted in closure of one of the group homes / treatment facilities operated by Victor Treatment Centers. It seems that the facilities were either under-staffed or had not got any training in how to handle situations with teenagers who suffer from various mental issues.
According to their website they deal this target group:
Victor Treatment Centers, Inc. (VTC) exists to provide a healthy, healing living environment for severely emotionally disturbed children and youth who have such great needs that they are temporarily not able to succeed in family situations and/or lower levels of care.
Such a target group requires specially trained employees and if this is not the case, then it is better to close down or it would not be fun to be there as a teenager.
- THREE JUVENILES ARRESTED FOR ASSAULTING STAFF AT VICTOR TREATMENT CENTER ONLY THREE DAYS AFTER ANOTHER JUVENILE WAS ARRESTED FOR ATTEMPTING HOMICIDE ON A STAFF MEMBER (Redheaded Blackbelt)
- Victor Treatment Centers to close in Redding. Announcement follows fourth assault at one of its facilities (Redding Record Searchlight)
Visionquest has been arround for some time and they are mentioned several times in this blog. Now their Arizona department are under investigation after they used the police force which do not have special trained officers to handle their patients – among them many with disabilities.
When we are talking a quadruple amputee most will assume that it will take specially trained personel to handle such a person. However if teenagers become disruptive, they use public tax-paid police officers who do not have this special training to handle their patients. It can only turn wrong for so many reasons and it did in this case where a teenager was bodyslammed by a police officer.
The authorities must look into how this facility is licensed. It cannot be the case that public money should be used for tasks which should have been handled by the employees.
Until a closer look into how this group home is handled, it is safe to say that it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
Tyler special needs home located in Texas has been put into the media after 2 employees were arrested charged for alleged abuse of teen with autism.
Special needs means that the employees should be educated into the complex nature of the illnesses the children in such places suffers from. Dealing with a child with autism requires a structure. Structure is not equal constant punishment. Structure means that it is the employee which should do their work in a consistant manner so the child knows what to expect in a certain situation.
I hope the group home will replace cheap labor with trained employees. Until that happens it cannot be fun to be there as a child.
- Caregivers at Tyler special needs home arrested for abuse of teen with autism (Tyler Morning Telegraph)
- Company issues statement on abuse of teen with autism at Tyler special needs home (Tyler Morning Telegraph)
- Caregivers at Tyler special needs home arrested for abuse of teen with autism (Newsbreak)
Center of Progressive Strides located in North Carolina closed after one of the employees were arrested and charged for alleged sexual assault. Investigation into the past brought forward charges of statutory sex offense, sexual battery and two counts of indecent liberties. The group home was shut down.
As result of the investigation the police chief stepped down as he was co-owner of the facility under investigation. How such thing could pass under his watch is strange. However the arrested employee worked as policeman so perhaps it is the reason that the alleged abuse could have taken place over some time.
Anyhow it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Former Greensboro group home employee faces 5 new sex offense charges after third person comes forward (Greensboro News & Journal)
- Greensboro Deputy Police Chief James Hinson files for retirement as an employee at his group home faces charges of sexual assault against a minor (Greensboro News & Journal)
- Burlington police investigating alleged sex crimes at church involving a former Greensboro group home employee (My FOX 8 News)