Kentucky Youth Academy located in Willisburg and Pikesville became the center of an investigation around 2002. It was alleged abuse of children and suspected use of corporal punishment, which caused the investigation.
The facilities were founded in 1997 and 1999. While being created as a non-profit operation, the manager were able to get a large sum of $500,000 per year.
The Juvenile Justice Department (JJD) closed the facilities in 2002 after six weeks of investigation.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
Two Private Kentucky Youth Facilities Closed for Abuse (Prison Legal News)
Magleby Skolecenter (Magleby School Center) which is a treatment center with ties to the Tvind organization. They won a vendor about housing and treat children with autismn based on a cheap price level. Professionals and experts in autismn are concerned about lack of trained employees. The treatment center also have foreign volunteers filling in for the untrained employees.
Denmarks Radio covered Tvind October 2017. It was revealed that Magleby also takes children in with other issues, even criminal convictions.
It cannot be fun to be at this group home as a child if the child suffers from a mental issue which demands high skilled employees and the group home cannot provide it.
Tvind: Skolecenter ufrivilligt i vælten (Sjællandske Nyheder)
Småskolen ved Nakkebølle is a group home in Denmark. A television program revealed that the management had connections to the people behind Tvind which is a company which used to control a number of boarding schools. Now Tvind has built an empire of group homes and treatment centers all over Denmark.
Denmarks Radio broadcasted two TV-programs October 2017 showing that the employees were untrained and the youth not screened before they were sent to the group homes which resulted in poor treatment and even violence against the teenagers and employees.
Some of the employees were even foreigners with no knowledge about what it take to treat the teenagers who suffer from various mental issues.
It cannot be fun to live there.
- Tvind Alert (Info page about Tvind)
- Teachers Group: The cult-like group linked to a charity that gets UK aid (BBC)
- Denmark’s Tvind (BBC)
The facility also known as Coffee Creek Center or Olympia Kiwanis Boys Ranch is under investigation due to actions, which took place when the facility was in operation between 1971 and 1994. Numerous lawyers have seen the opertunity to be part in lawsuits.
However it would have been better if the authorities had been allowed to interfere when the place was in operation so some of the children could have avoided their experience. It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Pervasive and Systematic Abuse at the Kiwanis Vocational Home (KVH or Coffee Creek Center) and the Olympia Kiwanis Boys Ranch (OKBR): Were You a Group Home Victim? (PCVA Law firm)
- Kiwanis Vocational Home: While Abuse Claims Were Muted, Financial Problems at the Home Were Well-Known (Lewis County Watch)
- Sexual Abuse, Fraud and Negligence Alleged at Closed Centralia Home for Boys (The Chronlicle)
A boy ended up in a hospital where he is unlikely to ever recover. His mother seeks answers and while the management of the group home state that they will coorparate none seems interested in finding out why the boy will most likely die from his condition. A former assault on the same boy was not reported, so there are real questions which demand answers.
It cannot be fun to be at this group home, when answers are not given when children are hurt.
The Children’s Receiving Home in Sacramento has since 2012 been investigated by the authorities. Among the points of interest in the investigation were poorly trained staff, mishandled medications and filthy dorms.
An employee had an improper relationship with a child. The dorms continue to be filthy to such a degree that the inspectors cannot stand how it smells inside the dorms when they inspect the facility.
Still it remains in operation.
We are asking. How much should it take before such places are closed down?
It cannot be fun to be there as a child.
- Numerous violations cited at Sacramento foster care shelter campus (The Sanfrancisco Chronicle)
- Children’s Receiving Home of Sacramento target of civil suit after former counselor convicted of sex with client (The Sacramento Bee)
- Children’s Receiving Home counselor accused of sex acts with minor (KCRA news)
- Children’s Receiving Home Opens Doors After State Foster Care Complaints (CBS news)
El Pueblo Boys & Girls Ranch has it license suspended after state investigators found that the children were underfed and abuse. The facility had been in operation for more than 50 years. It seems that the decision to close the place was done 50 years too late.
It cannot be fun to have been there as a teenager.
Teglgårdslund is located in Hilleroed. They offer apartments for at-risk youth aged between 15 and 26 years with so-called easy problems.
In the past there was a case where a 15 year old girl tried to burn her apartment down. There were also involved in connecting the previous entry “Vildmarksprojektet” with the authorities despite missing licensing and a totally illegal concept. They neglected to interview the children when they returned from Norway and Sweden. Letters from foster families in Sweden containing information about violence comitted against the teenagers were ignored.
Despite having changed management we as a human rights group doubt that there have been changes enough so we will claim that it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
Sources (In Danish language):
- 15-årig pige indlagt efter brandstiftelse (Hillerødposten)
- Anklaget for vold mod anbragte børn: – Jeg står til ridderkorset (TV2 Nyhederne)
- Fokus på kompetencer og ikke konsekvenser (sn.dk)
The Village School lost two employees after the police arrested them for their indecent relationship with students. The arrests removed a factor of stability at the facility and now reports of fights among students in the facility is reported. The students at this facility are court-ordered to be there and now there are no strategy about how to reward students. It causes turmoil.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Teacher pleads guilty to affair with ‘girlfriend’ student (The New York Post)
- olice: Village School teacher sexually assaulted female student (6 ABC news)
- Former Main Line teacher’s aide faces sex charges (Fox 29 News)
- School Aide Charged For Exposing Herself To Students (CBS news)
The Northeast Parent and Child Society in Schenectady, New York has been the center of some media coverage recently. We are talking alleged illegal relationship between teacher and student, alleged violence against students. We are talking about the massive number of calls and responses by the police to the facility.
For vulnerable teenagers who are forced to be there in order to heal it cannot be fun to be placed in such an environment.
- Northeast Parent and Child Society School teacher’s aide accused of having relationship with 15-year-old student (News 10 news)
- Steep rise in police calls to Schenectady facility for troubled teens (Times Union)
- Northeast Parent & Child youth aide pleads guilty in sex charge (Times Union)
- Castleton man charged with rape, sex abuse (The Troy Record)