946. Arivaca Boys Ranch
The facility was located in Arizona. The target group was teenage boys. Feedback from parents were very mixed as it seemed that the diagnoses the teenage boys arrived with was a bit too complicated for the mostly untrained staff to handle.
Here are some of the reviews.
Absolutely DO NOT send your kiddo here for treatment of ADHD, PTSD, ODD or other mental health issues. They are not qualified to provide care for these types of challenges. I placed my son there just last Friday (6/18/2021) and by Monday I received a call that they couldn’t handle him. The therapist who called me literally said “I am talking to him softly and trying to redirect him but it is not working”. She then asked me what she should do!! They were fully aware of his history of prior hospitalizations, trauma and aggression and yet they still led me to believe they could help him.
Keep in mind, we live 1600 miles away and I had literally just returned home after placing him in their care when they called me. My son was transferred to a local crisis center and then to a local behavioral center (he is actually still there until we can make other arrangements to get him back closer to home). I cannot even begin to imagine how much additional trauma my son has experienced with all of this.Jody P. from California
My son went about five years ago and now I hear about all the things that went on. I fought with Ron that entire 10 months he was there because they did not have the people and staff that were adequate for what these kids needed. Kids were getting the drugs for the horses, Ron sold out to my sons father who was the enabler for a truck and other things that could be used by his school. He doesn’t care about the children that are there and it’s only about the money. This is the most unprofessional, understaffed,Sandra L. from Mesa
And enabling place you could send your child. The counselors aren’t even to the caliber they should be. Once they get your money, they care less what your child does or if he ever gets healthy. If you have a parent that is enabling your child, they can buy Ron out to let the child do whatever they want as long as you give Ron money or other things. It is a big joke now with my son five years later and what a horrible place this was and not helpful at all! Ron is basically a money hungry uncaring human. Save your money and put it somewhere else. If this place isn’t shut down now it should be shut down! When you look at the bad reviews, trust them. I noticed that my review from years ago that was bad was taken down by them. So, I am putting another one on here in case they are not closed
people should be aware that this just a money making scheme for the owner. That would be you Ron. You should hang your head in shame. You care nothing about the boys or their sobriety.
- Arivaca Boys Ranch (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- Arivaca Boys Ranch (Project Unsilenced)
- Arivaca Boys Ranch (2007-present) Arivaca, AZ (Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support)
944. Vista Dimple Dell Canyon
In 2022 the center was reported to be about to close. The media spoke of numerous complaints concerning the treatment of the patients.
Reviews are not that positive. Here are some testimonies from former patients:
Nobody should EVER go through the abuse kids are put through here. Every single day since the day I was released from this prison atmosphere two years ago I have to deal with the trauma I have from this place. Not only was I not allowed to speak (a basic human right) for weeks at a time (once for leaving a bottle of shampoo in the shower on accident), but staff forced kids to turn on each other and bash each other in group settings. I will never be the same person and left the program with lifetime resent towards my parents and countless mental health issues.Kristen on Google
I am about a year and a half out from this program and have had time think about the six months i spent there. I still have a lot to work through and am currently working on with my current therapist. I feel as if I can confidently say that Vista Sage shattered my trust in the therapist client relationship for a while along with my confidence to succeed. I would highly recommend finding other places ( preferably in the woods ) for your children if you don’t want them to resent you for the rest of their lives. This place is a breeding ground for people to get rich off the backs of kids that are just trying to get by. Very Disappointing and I hope more people come out about their experience.Celeste on Google
I attended this place in 2018. When I got there, instantly I knew that this place was not going to benefit my mental health. The staff basically makes it known that snitching on other students and betraying their trust, would further your treatment. If I did anything wrong, their solution was to not allow me to speak, or anyone to speak to me for a week. Not too sure how that is supposed to do anything other than make the child feel alone and desperate. I had multiple staff/ therapists tell me I was never going to change if I decided to leave when I turned 18. One of the therapist, who wasn’t even assigned to me, made it a point to have everyone gather in a group and literally shame me for everything I did infront of me. Not to mention they tried to hide from the parents the fact that staff were sneaking vapes in for the kids. This place is truly disgusting to the core. It’s because of places like this that breaking code silence exists. I hope everyone who went here is recovering from the trauma I know most of us still deal with. I honestly wish I could write a whole book on how horrible Vista Sage is.Anna on Google
It does not sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Utah youth treatment center is closing after 26 former residents were sued for abuse and maltreatment (Local News)
- Vista Treatment Centers (1991-present) Magna/Sandy, UT (Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support)
- Vista Treatment Centers (Project Unsilenced)
921. St. Joseph’s Orphanage
St. Joseph’s Orphanage in Burlington, Vermont opened around 1850 and was in operation until 1974 where it closed down. Part of its existence it was operated by the Vermont Catholic Charities.
A recent investigation uncovered that abuse had taken place. Some survivors of the facility claims that children were murdered at the facility but the investigation found no reason to bring charges against anyone – perhaps too much time has passed and there would be none to charge because they have died in the years since the facility closed.
It is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- We Saw Nuns Kill Children: The Ghosts of St. Joseph’s Catholic Orphanage (Buzzfeed News)
- St. Joseph’s Orphanage investigation finds no crimes, but abuse occurred (Burlington Free Press)
- Former residents of St. Joseph’s Orphanage recount horrific abuse, want day in court (VT Digger)
- St. Joseph’s Orphanage abuse survivors want diocese to pay for therapy (WAX 3 News)
919. Marine Leadership Academy (Logan Square School)
The Marine Leadership Academy is part of the Chicago School System. High School exam is offered.
Investigations conducted in 2021 revealed that employees were grooming the students using a loophole in the legislation. New legislation has been put forward to stop this loophole. Some employees have been discharged in wake of the scandal.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student targeted by the adults.
- Teachers, Staff Sexually Abused And Groomed Students At Logan Square School In ‘Colossal Failure,’ CPS CEO Says (Block Club Chicago)
- Investigation Uncovered Widespread Sexual Misconduct at Logan Square High School (WTTW News)
- Adults Groomed Students At Logan Square School — But That’s Not Always Illegal. A New State Bill Could Close The Loophole (Block Club Chicago)
- Teachers, staff sexually abused and groomed students at Chicago school in ‘colossal failure,’ schools CEO says (Chalkbeat)
916. Crockett State School
Crockett State School was a youth prison that closed in 2011. Official reason was budget cuts.
Various sources speak of a death of a certain 17-year-old Demetrius Jeffries August 26, 1997. March 16, 2009 a 14-year old boy which was not identified in the media was found dead. Apparently he managed to hang himself using his underwear. At least that is the official reports as told in newspaper articles.
Other articles speak of relationships between detainees and the adult employees taking a nature which was a crime. Other reports speak of the use of restraint used as a weapon of fear.
Of course it was a prison and it was not a nice place to be as a teenager.
- Candid Camera on Carey (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- TYC vows to get answers about teen’s hanging (The Houston Chronicle)
- Letter to Judy Preston – Chief, Special Litigation Section (Advocacy Incorporated)
- Crockett State School (Wikipedia)
- Child Protective Services – Dallas,Tx. – Dallas Texas (Ripoff Report)
911. Green Hill School
Green Hill School is a youth prison located in Chehalis, Washington. Back in the 1970’s incidents took place which punished the children beyond the sentences, the courts had issued upon them.
A investigation was launched into the incidents and it has resulted in a number of convictions.
More recently it seems that the security of the facility has been undermined by actions of some of the employees, which is under investigation as of 2021. Smuggling of items to the detainees has led to other employees to state that they do not feel safe. Acts of violence between the detainees has also taken place.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Former Green Hill School Employee Sentenced in Relation to Sexual Misconduct at Chehalis Facility (The Chronicle)
- THE GREEN HILL SCHOOL IN CHEHALIS, WASHINGTON, ISN’T REALLY A SCHOOL AT ALL. IT’S A JUVENILE DETENTION FACILITY FOR MEDIUM- AND MAXIMUM-SECURITY JUVENILE OFFENDERS. (Pfau Cochran Vertetis Amala)
- WA agrees to settle lawsuit about abuse at Green Hill School juvenile facility (KIRO 7 News)
- Former staffer at juvenile detention facility indicted for accepting bribes for smuggling contraband into facility (Department of Justice U.S. Attorney’s Office Western District of Washington)
- Four Stabbed at Green Hill School in Chehalis Sunday (Yahoo Sport)
900. Hill Crest Behavioral Health Services
Hill Crest Behavioral Health Services established in 1925 is owned by Universal Health Services.
In the media the facility is mentioned when video tapes were leaked from the facility showing employees assaulting the young patients.
It could not be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Videos Show UHS Hospital Staff Assaulting Young Patients (Buzz Feed News)
- Shocking videos show staff viciously abusing patients at one of America’s largest for-profit psychiatric hospitals (The Daily Mail Online)
- Hill Crest Behavioral Health (Reddit Troubled Teen Wiki Database)
853. Lava Heights Academy
Lava Heights Academy run by the same company who ran the now-closed Red Rock Canyon school and Mount Pleasant Academy is mentioned in an article where a mother realized that her son had run away when the police in Arizona picked him up. The facility had not reported him missing and as result of that the police were not looking for him. He could have been hurt by criminals while without adult company living in the streets.
Why did they fail? Maybe it is because the employees are not given the conditions they need.
A former employee writes:
Company pretends to care, but gets rid of good people and keeps bad ones in supervisory and management positions. Examples are they have nurses working as direct care staff.Pros
Management doesn’t care about people
It is clear that is the only good thing is free meals then you do not get caring employees. Employees who will speak out against management if the children placed at the facility do not the treatment set up in their treatment plan.
It cannot be a good place to be as a teenager in need of treatment.
- Lava Heights Academy Employee Reviews (Indeed)
- Mother angry over S. Utah treatment center’s response after son runs away (The Spectrum)
- After a riot, increasing violence and now sex abuse allegations, Red Rock Canyon school will close (Salt Lake Tribune)
An employee was arrested charged with with rape, sexual abuse of students
828. CALO Teens
CALO Teens also known as Calo Institute was founded in 2007. It is located near Lake of the Ozarkz. Their target group is teenagers with emotional challenges.
In the media the facility was mentioned due the imprisonment of an employee which had sex with a 14-year-old girl he encountered working for the so-called residential treatment center.
A quick research shows children running away from the facility too. People from the LGBT community complains about the treatment, they received as teenagers.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Factsheet about the program (Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support)
- Former Calo Worker Sent to Prison for Violating Probation (KRMS radio)
- CALO’s Connections and Huey’s “Secret” (The American Spring Network)
- Thomas Victor Riley – 2009 (Missing TTI Missing Teens)
- I want you to know about my former treatment center which claims to be LGBT friendly but actually abuses LGBT teens (Reddit)
655. St. John Vianney Seminary, Richmond
St. John Vianney Seminary located 25 miles west of Richmond, Virginia is closed. When it was open the boys suffered by the strange and bizarre behavior among some of the employees which must be considered abuse.
Investigation was finally launced many years after. It remains unclear whether the full scale of events ever will be public, but it is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a student.
- Richmond’s Troubled Diocese”>Richmond’s Troubled Diocese (The Washington Post)
- Father Figure (Style Weekly)
- Richmond, Virginia – St. John Vianney Seminary (SNAP Survivors’ Network)