916. Crockett State School
Crockett State School was a youth prison that closed in 2011. Official reason was budget cuts.
Various sources speak of a death of a certain 17-year-old Demetrius Jeffries August 26, 1997. March 16, 2009 a 14-year old boy which was not identified in the media was found dead. Apparently he managed to hang himself using his underwear. At least that is the official reports as told in newspaper articles.
Other articles speak of relationships between detainees and the adult employees taking a nature which was a crime. Other reports speak of the use of restraint used as a weapon of fear.
Of course it was a prison and it was not a nice place to be as a teenager.
- Candid Camera on Carey (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- TYC vows to get answers about teen’s hanging (The Houston Chronicle)
- Letter to Judy Preston – Chief, Special Litigation Section (Advocacy Incorporated)
- Crockett State School (Wikipedia)
- Child Protective Services – Dallas,Tx. – Dallas Texas (Ripoff Report)
860. Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health
The chain of treatment facilities was found by Helena T. Devereux in 1912. The Devereux organization established their Texas department in 1959 and it is one out of many departments across the United States.
Searching on the facility articles speak of possible sexual attack on children and riots. An article points out that the management was not observant enough setting up guidelines which could have prevented these incidents.
Feedback from former patients on Google is not that positive
I use to live here. They played favoritism. When it was time for prom they told us if you walk out of school or anywhere else you will not attend prom but that was a lie. The counselors never cared. Never listened to you. I cant wait to show up one day to surprise everyone. Cause this place needs to be shut down. After me and another client left me and her still talked i told her i was pregant and told me someone from Devereux could take care of my baby. Umm what? The baby would have a better life. I miscarried. But for staff to still be connected with residents is a little disturbing. This place is not worth it. Dont come here EVER!Stephanie Rodriguez
Horrible communication good luck getting any information after spending 3 days calling leaving messages and never getting a callback I tried the number my insurance company provided and spoke to a super rude disgruntled employee who informed me they were long term not short term(1-2months inpatient) facility which is NOT clearly stated on their website. If the initial intake is this incompetent I can’t imagine how services could bemonique mcgillen
It does not sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Mental health worker faces slew of charges after being accused of sexually assaulting 4 children (Click 2 Houston)
- 9 arrested at Devereux Advanced Behavior Health facility (RC News Chant)
- At the nation’s leading behavioral health nonprofit for youth, Devereux staff abused children in their care for years — while red flags were dismissed. (The Philadelphia Inquirer, LLC)
- Mother of teen with autism demanding answers from facility he went missing from and Phoenix PD (ABC 15 Arizona)
- Valley mother asks for community’s help to find missing teen with autism (ABC 15 Arizona)
- DOZENS OF CHILDREN REPORT SEXUAL ABUSE AT DEVEREUX ADVANCED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH (Cohen & Malad, LLP)
- New lawsuit alleges Devereux failed to protect at least six children from abuse (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
- Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health Staff Sexual Abuses Class Action Lawsuit (Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP)
- Devereux in League City, TX. Anyone? (Reddit r/TroubledTeens)
- KIDS CHOKED, STRIPPED, BEATEN AT FACILITIES (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
Boysville Children’s Home in Converse, Texas is mentioned in the media due to an arrest of a now former employee. The charges against him is Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child.
It remains unclear which kind of precautions that has been introduced to prevent this and how the management failed to set up simple guidelines which could have prevented the alleged abuse.
For now it is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
806. Tyler special needs home
Tyler special needs home located in Texas has been put into the media after 2 employees were arrested charged for alleged abuse of teen with autism.
Special needs means that the employees should be educated into the complex nature of the illnesses the children in such places suffers from. Dealing with a child with autism requires a structure. Structure is not equal constant punishment. Structure means that it is the employee which should do their work in a consistant manner so the child knows what to expect in a certain situation.
I hope the group home will replace cheap labor with trained employees. Until that happens it cannot be fun to be there as a child.
- Caregivers at Tyler special needs home arrested for abuse of teen with autism (Tyler Morning Telegraph)
- Company issues statement on abuse of teen with autism at Tyler special needs home (Tyler Morning Telegraph)
- Caregivers at Tyler special needs home arrested for abuse of teen with autism (Newsbreak)
738. Shiloh Treatment Center
Shiloh Treatment Center is a treatment center which provides special education for a number of school districts in Texas.
Over the years there have been a number of causes causing concern.
- a teenager died while trying to escape the treatment center
- a male employee had sex with a 15 year old girl
- teenagers were forcibly injected with psychiatric drugs
It cannot be a fun place to be as a teenager.
706. The Joshua Home
News reports tell a story about raid of this facility.
The manager of the facility is no stranger to readers of this site as Brother Gary Wiggins used to run a similar home in Alabama where former boys spoke of abuse.
Then reports told that he moved his business to Missouri. It then vanished some months ago and now the police in Texas raided the facility.
Was it an attempt to operate in secret?
Anyhow it is safe to conclude that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Eight juvenile males removed from Joshua Home (Burnet Bulletin)
- Abuse reports shut down his Alabama boys home. Now he’s opened another in Missouri (Kansas City)
682. Open Door Baptist Church
The Open Door Baptist Church is not a good place to be as a minor. Not only there is the risk of sexual abuse as it too sadly is very common in religious communities. At this church abuse was not reported when it was discovered. The police arrested the leader of the church due to his failure to report the abuse.
It could not have been fun to be a child without protection of responsible adults at this church.
- Fundamentalist Baptist pastor arrested on charges he failed to report child abuse (Star Telegram)
- Lead pastor of Open Door Baptist arrested (Mesquite News)
648. Timberlawn Behavioral Health System
Timberlawn Behavioral Health System was founded in 1917. Over the years it specialized in treatment of mental issues at children and young adults.
Complaints has been public almost since the start of the common use of the Internet. In 2017 the state suddenly became aware that there was a problem and it led to the closure of Timberlawn in 2018. It could not have been fun to be there as a patient.
- ‘Immediate jeopardy’: How safe are kids at state-monitored Timberlawn psych hospital? (The Dallas Morning News)
- Dallas Timberlawn psychiatric hospital has run out of second chances (The Dallas Morning News)
- Timberlawn Mental Health System (UHS Behind Closed Doors)
639. Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch
Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch claims that they have changed over the years and that is good because it was a bad place in the past. Abuse – even sexual – among the children, violence committed by adults is just some of the issues, the teenagers in the past had to deal with.
Now they even want to name a dorm after one of the persons who was responsible for the violence. Was it not better that they named it after one of the persons who sought to that the place was regulated by the legislation ending the abuse?
Safe to say that it was not a fun place for a teenager to stay in the past.
- AGN EXCLUSIVE: Former Congressman Bill Sarpalius details suffering abuse at Boys Ranch (Amarillo Globe News)
- Amarillo-area Boys Ranch apologizes for decades of physical, sexual abuse of at-risk youths (Dallas News)
- Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch acknowledges, apologizes for decades of physical, sexual abuse (Lubbock Online)
542. Woodside Trails Therapeutic Camp, Texas
In 2004 the police saved 22 foster kids from a private run wilderness camp in Bastrop County, Texas.
Two employees at the camp were charged with aggravated sexual assault of a child, a first-degree felony. The camp was closed down by the authorities. The juridical process were complicated and the closure of the camp ended up in backers of the program having tried to white wash the ordeals the boys of the camp had to endure. What became of the truth is impossible to say today.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Two ex-workers at CPS facility for foster kids held on sex abuse counts (Free Republic)
- Republican Gubernatorial Candidate, Carole Keeton Strayhorn, sued by Brownwood man: Is their a Brownwood Media Blackout on this ? (Steve’s Soapbox)
- TX wilderness camp in news (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)