Crockett State School was a youth prison that closed in 2011. Official reason was budget cuts.
Various sources speak of a death of a certain 17-year-old Demetrius Jeffries August 26, 1997. March 16, 2009 a 14-year old boy which was not identified in the media was found dead. Apparently he managed to hang himself using his underwear. At least that is the official reports as told in newspaper articles.
Other articles speak of relationships between detainees and the adult employees taking a nature which was a crime. Other reports speak of the use of restraint used as a weapon of fear.
Of course it was a prison and it was not a nice place to be as a teenager.
- Candid Camera on Carey (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- TYC vows to get answers about teen’s hanging (The Houston Chronicle)
- Letter to Judy Preston – Chief, Special Litigation Section (Advocacy Incorporated)
- Crockett State School (Wikipedia)
- Child Protective Services – Dallas,Tx. – Dallas Texas (Ripoff Report)
St Joseph’s Industrial School located Letterfrack, Northern Ireland was open between 1887 to 1974. It was run by the Congregation of Christian Brothers.
The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse concluded that residents at the facility suffered both physical and sexual abuse from some of the employees.
One of the boys who were subjected to the abuse later committed suicide by setting fire to himself.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a teenager.
Milton Hershey School has been mentioned in two cases in the media. In 2015 a house parent was arrested. He was later convicted and will be deported once time has been served. Later a girl committed suicide after she was kicked out and the school sued the parents apparently for even mentioning the suicide in relationship with the name of the school.
It seems safe to say that it cannot be fun to be there as a child and not even relatives to the child either
- Ex-Milton Hershey School house parent sentenced to state prison, faces deportation for molesting 2 more girls (Pennsylvania Real-Time News)
- Milton Hershey School seeks to hold family of girl who hanged herself liable for her death (Pennsylvania Real-Time News)
An article in newspaper tells the story about two persons who have been working in the private teenage detention business where the facilities are called treatment centers, who became involved in lawsuits and criminal investigation. While the police stopped the investigation due to the age of the victims, the incident shows a need for better supervision of private detention facilities. Chaffin Pullan and Michele “Mickey” Manning have been working in many programs. Some of them belonging to the infamous WWASP organization and in one case at a facility where a girl died as result of suicide.
Now they started Reflections Academy Inc. and it is at this facility the police investigated claims of sexual abuse and grooming.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager and age out so you become a legal target for grooming and abuse.
- Reflections Academy school for girls sued 3 times in 3 months; claims of grooming, abuse (The Missoulian)
- Rape conviction in Utah underscores risks at programs for troubled teens in Montana (Montana Standard)
A student are alleged to have committed suicide. The tragic incident is still under investigation
- State investigating girl’s death at therapeutic boarding school (Independent Record)
An article states that the program shut down sometime around October 2021
- State Laws Aim to Regulate ‘Troubled Teen Industry,’ but Loopholes Remain (Kaiser Health News)
Lancaster Lodge which is charity-run seems to have taken in young people with illnesses, they were not able to deal with due to lack of qualifications. An article speaks of a death and an attempted suicide.
Just because you are able to treat one kind of illnees, there are no promise that you can deal with the all. You need special trained adults for the various forms of mental illnesses that exist. Ignoring this brings the lives of the teenagers in danger.
It could have been fun to be there as a teenager, when you cannot get the specialized treatment you need.
Orion Family Services runs a number of group homes in Wisconsin. One of them – Spohn Avenue House for Girls – was located in Madison.
The authorities closed the group home down after the employees first failed to monitor a girl who was as risk of committing suicide after her family was denied visit, secondary they failed to intervene in the right way once they discovered that the girl was in the process of hanging herself. The group home had not trained the employees correctly according to regulation and the state had not visited the group home as often as they should do.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Family of sexual assault, suicide victim file wrongful death lawsuit against group home (Channel 3000 news)
- Group home staff failed to monitor, aid teenage rape victim who hung herself, lawsuit claims (Wisconsin State Journal)
Echo Glen Children’s Center has been around for a long time. There have also been a number of suicide attempts and suicides for a long time.
At least 3 of these deaths are mentioned on the Swedish run memorial board “Today a child died”.
It cannot be fun to be there as a child.
Wellspring Academy in Sutherlin, Virginia was closed in 2003. The owner Bob Gluhareff shot himself after he was sentenced to prison
A local newspaper wrote:
And Bob Gluhareff, who had headed the now defunct Wellspring Academy in the Sutherlin community for disturbed youth, was sentenced to 30 months in jail and ordered to pay $500,000 in restitution. The sentencing came after Gluhareff had been charged with 53 counts of tax, wire, mail and bank fraud back in 2006. However, earlier this year, he had pleaded guilty to two charges of bank fraud and one each to mail and tax fraud.
It is safe to say based on the ruling in the court that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Wellspring Academy, Bob Gluhareff, Cindy Thomas, Chris Chris (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- News and Record