Mountain Park Academy also mentioned as Mountain Park Boarding Academy was marketed as religious boarding school. It was located in Patterson, Missouri. It was founded by Reverend Bob Wills, who moved to Patterson when he ran into legal issues at his previous boarding school located Hattiesburg, Mississippi. (See entry: 199. Bethesda home for girls)
The facility closed closed in 2004. After the closure of Mountain Park some of the employees went on to work at ABM Ministries and other prison-styled religious boarding schools in Missouri.
The conditions the teenagers were forced under included use of corporal punishment. Some of the students became so desperate to leave the school and the horrible environment that they killed a student because the conditions were better in prison. This tragedy for the Futrelle family who lost a son is a prime example of how extreme religious boarding schools can push young lives over the edge. The horrible conditions at the school was the cause. The two murderers who was locked up for life became the tool.
It didn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Baptist Boarding Schools Close in Missouri, Florida (Unmarried America)
- Dad’s Death Crushed Granada Hills Youth (LA Times)
- Insiders Tell Of Boarding School, Past And Present (St Louis Post-Dispatch,)
- Testimony from Mountain Park Academy in Missouri (Tales from the black school testimonial blog)
- Kaufmann vs. Mountain Park Academy (Project Nospank)
- Dad’s Death Crushed Granada Hills Youth (Los Angeles Times)
- Petition for new trial in the Mountain Park Academy murder (Message board for Fighting Institutional Child Abuse Network)
- Mountain Park Academy Looses (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- Baptist ‘Boot Camps’ in Need of Watchful Eyes (Patheos)