Riverside Academy in Wichita, Kansas is now closed. People who passed the building like in the 2010’s could read graffiti with the wording:
- “Burn this place.”
- “Youth were abused here … systematically.”
- “This is a bad place.”
Taking into account that the facility was run by Sequel Youth & Family Services which is a for-profit company which have been the center of a attention by authorities in several states, the statements could very well be true. We can see reports of children running away from the facility before it closed.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- The bad place (Reveal News)
- ‘Youth were abused here’ (APM Reports)
- ‘Youth were abused here’: Investigating Sequel’s patterns of abuse of foster children (OPB News)
- US lawmakers request investigation into youth congregate care facilities, including one Oregon relied heavily on (OPB News)
- Wichita police: 2 missing boys found safe (Kake News)
Cedar Ridge Academy – now known as Makana Leadership Academy – is located outside the town of Roosevelt in Utah. It was founded in 1996. Over the years many teenagers have been transported there against their will by professional transporters. In the public the boarding school is mostly known for the actions of a male nurse who became to eager with grooming behavior. There are only so many times you need to conduct “hernia checks”.
While the police suspect that the nurse was very good seeking out students who might have found these endless check more satisfying than most teenager there were still the risk that the wrong student could be subjected to his action which makes it easy to say that it cannot be fun to be forced to stay there.
- Ex-school nurse faces additional charges in Duchesne County (Deseret News)
- Cedar Ridge Academy Nurse Charged With Sex Abuse (School Survival Net)
Young adults who were detained at the facility mentioned that their reports of abuse were ignored. The facility changed it name to Makana Leadership Academy.
3 teenagers ran from the facility. They were later located.