890. Mount Cashel Orphanage
Mount Cashel Orphanage also known as Mount Cashel Boys Home was located in St. Johns, Canada. It was open between 1898 and 1990 and operated by the Congregation of Christian Brothers.
Starting in 1975 the authorities began an investigation into child abuse. A number of further investigations resulted in a number of lawsuits and convicts.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student.
856. Salesian College
The Salesian College located in Sunbury, Victoria, Australia was founded in 1929. In the 1970’s and up to some point in the 1990’s various forms of abuse took place on the hands of some of the employees. A number of persons were convicted.
It is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager while the abuse took place.
- Justice four decades later (The Adviser)
- After 42 years, two victims expose the church’s cover-up (Broken Rites Australia)
- Extra jail time for rapist ex-priest who assaulted boy at summer camp (The Age Australia)
828. CALO Teens
CALO Teens also known as Calo Institute was founded in 2007. It is located near Lake of the Ozarkz. Their target group is teenagers with emotional challenges.
In the media the facility was mentioned due the imprisonment of an employee which had sex with a 14-year-old girl he encountered working for the so-called residential treatment center.
A quick research shows children running away from the facility too. People from the LGBT community complains about the treatment, they received as teenagers.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Factsheet about the program (Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support)
- Former Calo Worker Sent to Prison for Violating Probation (KRMS radio)
- CALO’s Connections and Huey’s “Secret” (The American Spring Network)
- Thomas Victor Riley – 2009 (Missing TTI Missing Teens)
- I want you to know about my former treatment center which claims to be LGBT friendly but actually abuses LGBT teens (Reddit)
815. Milton Hershey School
Milton Hershey School has been mentioned in two cases in the media. In 2015 a house parent was arrested. He was later convicted and will be deported once time has been served. Later a girl committed suicide after she was kicked out and the school sued the parents apparently for even mentioning the suicide in relationship with the name of the school.
It seems safe to say that it cannot be fun to be there as a child and not even relatives to the child either
- Ex-Milton Hershey School house parent sentenced to state prison, faces deportation for molesting 2 more girls (Pennsylvania Real-Time News)
- Milton Hershey School seeks to hold family of girl who hanged herself liable for her death (Pennsylvania Real-Time News)
709. Downside School
The Downside School is a combined day and boarding school. It was founded in 1606.
Investigation into the past of the school has shown that student was sexual abused by employees and the school over the years tried to cover-up what took place.
It could not have been fun to be there as a student.
672. Kenbe Fem Ministry
Kenbe Fem Ministry is a ministry in Haiti. In 2017 a manager of the facility was arrest for sexual abuse of the children when he was back in his home country where the court system unlike the system in Haiti works without corruption.
He was sentenced to 40 years in prison combined with supervision in 2018.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child but then it cannot be fun to be in Haiti at all when you see a country which barely functions at all.
- Ex-Liberty Hill missionary gets 40 years for sexually exploiting children at orphanage (KXAN News)
- Pye’s In Haiti (Marketing blog for the facility)
- American Missionary Accused of Having Sex with Minors in His Haitian Orphanage (Free Republic)
- He cared for Haitian orphans. Now he’s been found guilty of sexually abusing them. (Miami Herald)
549. Odsherred Efterskole
The boarding school Odsherred Efterskole was mentioned in the second criminal case against people employed at the school in 2017 when a former teacher got a suspended prison sentence for inapropiate touching of girls aged between 14 and 16. A group of parents have announced that they intend to sue the school for not reacting to complaints in time. Numerous newspaper articles read that the management was warned against the actions of the teacher.
Some years before the school was fined for putting about 10 students into danger when they took the students on a boat trip which ended when the engine stopped and the boat started to take water in. Pure luck prevented disaster as a ferry passed the boat and saved everyone onboard. Both the teacher and the school was fined back then.
The lack of management makes it safe to claim that it can be both dangerous and not that funny to be student at this particular boarding school.
- Efter krænkelser: Forældre sagsøger Odsherred Efterskole (Berlingske Tidende)
- Efterskolelærer får betinget straf for at beføle piger (Sjællandske Nyheder)
- Kritik af efterskole efter speedbådsulykke (Jyllands-Posten)
- Kritik af efterskole efter forlis (TV2 Oest)
- Bøder til efterskole og lærer (Sjællandske Nyheder)
499. Oakwood School (Stowmarket)
2016 it was announced that a former head teacher has been convicted for sex abuse. That was a closure for some of the former students who had endured far more that they should at the now-closed Oakwood School.
It is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
497. Dalesdown, United Kingdom
Corporal punishment was a mild term for the abuse which took place at Dalesdown in United Kingdom before the school closed after a storm destroyed much of the property. After the victims became adults they started to hunt down the person in charge and he was brought to justice.
It is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Derek Slade, St Georges School, Suffolk (Fighting Back blog)
- ‘Reign of terror’ headmaster jailed for 21 years (Metro news)
- Sacked Briton abused 12 boys (Times of Swaziland)