862. Wolston Park Hospital
The Wolston Park Hospital located in Queensland housed mentally ill between the 1950’s and 1980’s. Reports in local media mention the children were exposed to repeated rapes, sexual assaults – by both staff and adult patients – torture, chemical restraints, cigarette burns, fear, isolation and degrading humiliation.
Today it is known as The Park Centre for Mental Health – hopefully it is managed in a different way.
It is safe to state that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Harrowing stories of rape, chemical restraints and humiliation (Brisbane Times)
- Mental asylum mass exhumations and missing remains: the tale of Wolston Park’s lost and forgotten patients. (The Bottom Drawer Book)
- Wolston Park victim: ‘I got them to believe I wasn’t mad’ (The Queensland Times)
856. Salesian College
The Salesian College located in Sunbury, Victoria, Australia was founded in 1929. In the 1970’s and up to some point in the 1990’s various forms of abuse took place on the hands of some of the employees. A number of persons were convicted.
It is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager while the abuse took place.
- Justice four decades later (The Adviser)
- After 42 years, two victims expose the church’s cover-up (Broken Rites Australia)
- Extra jail time for rapist ex-priest who assaulted boy at summer camp (The Age Australia)
854. St Joseph’s Boys School
The facility also going under names as St Joseph’s College and St Joseph’s College Hunters Hill is located near Sydney in Australia. It was established in 1881. For many years is was very closed connected to a Catholic Religious Institute of Brothers called Marist Brothers.
Recently articles about abuse which took place while the school had close connections to the brotherhood appeared. Testimonies were given before the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. A former brother was convicted but most of the alleged abusers had died at the time of the hearing.
It could not have been fun to be victim to the abuse committed by some of the brothers back then.
- Catholic Brother stands trial for the sexual abuse of his ‘favourite student’ in the late 1960s (ABC News Australia)
- Raped a dozen times when he was just 11 at a Catholic boarding school: Tony Daly reveals the devastating pain he hid during his storied rugby career and how his life spiralled out of control after retirement (Daily Mail Online)
841. Don Dale Youth Detention Centre
The Don Dale Youth Detention Centre has been hit with a lot of negative press coverage as result of photos leaking from the prison showing children in shackles and forced to have their heads covered by hoods. In year 2000 a boy died there.
Plans have been made to close the detention centre down but it has not been implemented yet. Maybe the authorities believe that the entire matter would be forgotten once other media topics take the front pages over. All the inmates lately seems to be Aboriginal.
Australia have recently introduced legislation to prevent foreign NGO from taking interest in the facility because they demand that social media like Facebook that activists use as communication have to pay too much for quoting articles from Australian newspapers, so this tool can no longer be used to inform people abroad about conditions in Australia.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
793. The Gordon House group home
The Gordon House group home was a residential foster care facility located in Pennant Hills, Australia. It was closed after a resident aged 15 died. Articles about the death speak of possible rape and a totally un-supervised facility where people could come in unnoticed from the streets.
Later the Uniting Church, which ran the group home decided to close all their group homes due to case showing to the public that they were in a line of business they did not understand properly.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Uniting Church to close youth residential care homes in NSW in wake of ‘Girl X’ review (ABC Australia)
- Australia – MK, 15, raped and died in foster care, Westmead NSW, 21 April 2014 (Websleuths – missing children)
737. St. Patrick’s Cathedral choir
St. Patrick’s Cathedral choir in Melbourne has been revealed to be the hunting ground of a pedophile hiding in the service of the church. He was brought to justice but not before the damaging caused upon the children resulted in the death of one of the victims properly as result of the horrific memonries.
It could not have been fun to be member of the choir as a teenager.
703. Box Hill and Bayswater boys’ homes
The Box Hill and Bayswater boys’ homes was run by the Salvation Army. The government which should have secured oversight did not care and as result some of the boys were abused.
Beside the government having having neglected their duty, also the Salvation Army failed as an organization, denying that they had the to look after the volunteers they allowed near the children.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child.
667. Daruk Boys’ Home
Daruk Boys’ Home also known as Daruk Training School was created hoping the change to lives of young offenders. Instead it became a place where adults could have sex with minors. Basic guidelines to prevent such things from happening were not followed and young boys aged down to 12 ended up with men who had other things in mind than the welfare of the boys. And the sexual abuse was just part of some of the gruesome things which could happen to the boys confined at this facility. The Australian government rewarded the management for their efforts.
It could not have been a fun place to be as a child.
- Australian government-run home exposed as ‘paedophile’s paradise’
- https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/police-close-in-on-daruk-training-school-abuse-suspects/news-story/4ac23468ee91d0c7fe7bf3129bb46d48″>Police close in on Daruk Training School abuse suspects (The Australian Weekend)
- Boys had penises cut off, Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse hears (News.com.au)
650. The Arcade Circus
The Arcade Circus is a private circus school located in Katoomba. A number of employees were arrested charged on rape, kidnapping, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and production of child porn.
Needless so say that it does not sound like a fun place to be as a child.
- CIRCUS ‘CHILD SEX RING’ Seven circus school members ‘performed sadistic blood and sex rituals on three boys under eight in shocking child abuse ring’ (The Sun)
- Seven charged over sexual and physical abuse at Katoomba circus school: police (The Sydney Morning Herald)
- Group linked to performing arts school in regional NSW carried out ‘blood rituals’ during abuse of boys, police allege (ABC News Australia)
615. Metropolitan Boys’ Shelter
Metropolitan Boys’ Shelter was a youth holding prison for underaged boys who were awaiting trial. It was in operation from 1911 to 1983. It was also known as “Metropolitan Boys’ Remand Home” and “Albion Street Shelter”.
In 2017 the police started an investigation into possible abuse. It was known as a harsh place. Now it has been established that the treatment guided several boys into a life of crime. Some even ended up as murderers.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Sydney boys’ shelter abuse claims examined (News.com.au)
- NSW police probe historical matters at the Metropolitan Boys’ Shelter (The Mirage News)
- Sydney boys’ shelter abuse claims examined (The Daily Telegraph)
- Children’s institution that was an incubator for Sydney’s underworld about to reopen for new breed of child offenders (News.com.au)