940. TSI Owens Cross Roads
This facility will change name. If it will change its way, remains to doubt. Fact is that criticism against the facility include unsafe living conditions, staff abuse and neglect, and improper and excessive use of restraints. A number of students tried to escape the facility over the years making themselves and possible residents at risk.
As of May 2022 it is empty.
Numerous facilities operated by Sequel TSI have been investigated. Because Sequel TSI basically is a business they rebrand as Brighter Path of Alabama, so they can continue their way to conduct business after using some paint and money on new marketing material. Why the authorities fall for this scheme remains a mystery.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
900. Hill Crest Behavioral Health Services
Hill Crest Behavioral Health Services established in 1925 is owned by Universal Health Services.
In the media the facility is mentioned when video tapes were leaked from the facility showing employees assaulting the young patients.
It could not be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Videos Show UHS Hospital Staff Assaulting Young Patients (Buzz Feed News)
- Shocking videos show staff viciously abusing patients at one of America’s largest for-profit psychiatric hospitals (The Daily Mail Online)
- Hill Crest Behavioral Health (Reddit Troubled Teen Wiki Database)
593. Sequel TSI Madison
One of those places youth in Alabama can be sentenced to serve in is Sequel TSI Madison owned by Three Springs. There seems to be a number of people who have tried to escape from this facility and in 2017 it was revealed that a youth counselor had performed oral sex on some of the boys confined at the facility.
It is not every boy who wants to allow this to happen in order for various favors and that is enough to state that it can not be fun for every male teenager forced to live there.
- Madison youth counselor had sex with ‘several boys’ during 2-month span, court records state (al.com)
- Sub-message board about Three Springs (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- UPDATE: Teens missing from Three Springs in Madison located (WHNT news)
520. Lyman Ward Military Academy
Lyman Ward Military Academy is a private military academy founded in 1898.
During the recent years there have been some concerning incidents which could make people think about the safety of the children living a the military academy. We are talking hazing and various illegal sexual acts.
It doesn’t sound like a fun place to be as a child.
- Military Academy sued alleged abuse (NBC News)
- Lyman Ward Military Academy worker arrested for sexual acts with students (wvtm13 news)
- Alabama Military School Sued for Hazing (WSFA 12 News)
- Ex-military academy leader gets 20 years (The Decatur Daily News)
392. Team Achievers Discipline Academy
The Team Achievers Discipline Academy located in Montgomery, Alabama became noticed in the news when the founder and leader of the camp was arrested for sexual abuse charges. It seemed he used the camp as cover for his hidden agenda which was to come in touch with kids.
It didn’t sound like a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Founder of Montgomery boot camp faces more sexual abuse charges(WSFA 12 News)
- Nonprofit leader held on sex abuse charges (Montgomery Advertiser)
- Glenn Veasy Founded A Boot Camp For At Risk Youth, Then Sexually Abused Them (The Dreaming Demon)
364. Blessed Hope Boys Academy
This facility is marketed as a religious boarding school for male teenagers aged between 12 and 17. It is located in Robertsdale, Alabama. The management seems have been working for some of the infamous religious boarding schools in Missouri.
Communication with peers back home is restricted. The curriculum is ACE which makes it hard to be accepted into most colleges.
Spending time where you don’t achieve real credits and missing out of high school parties makes it safe to state that it cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Blessed Hope Boys Academy and Gary Wiggins – what is his past? (Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora)
- Knowledge of the past of brother Gary Wiggins is sought (Fighting Institutional Child Abuse Network)
- Factsheet of the facility (Fornits Wiki)
The authorities raided the facility December 2016.
After the state of Alabama closed a legal loophole allowing them to inspect religious schools, the founder Pastor Gary Wiggins moved his operations to Missouri, where this loophole continues to exist. In Missouri, the state do not care about the safety of children in religious boarding schools. Instead the state of Missouri picks up the pieces when people are hurt or they are killed. And deaths there have been. Teenagers escaping a facility “Lives under Construction” or LUC Ranch killed an elderly couple. Two teenagers killed another when they tried to escape “Mountain Park Academy”.
It is a mystery why the state of Missouri allows this legal loophole to exist.
Religious boarding school raided in Alabama reopens in Missouri (al.com)
324. Saving Youth Foundation
Justice finally caught up with the management of a Christian Boot camp in Mobile, Alabama
Years ago we wrote about a similar boot camp also in Alabama called Restoration Youth Academy also located in Alabama. After we wrote about the facility they got some unwanted attention from the local media and they decided to close their operations.
It turned out to be a trick enabling them to open under a new name.
Ordinary families who sought help for their children gave them to people who shackled their teenagers and isolated them in small boxes as punishment being lured by a website promising counseling and therapy.
Fortunately the authorities intervened and several arrests have been made.
It is time that the people behind such scams which includes a history back to infamous places like Bethel Boys Academy etc. can be stopped.
It could not be a fun place to be as a teenager.
50. Elk River Wilderness Challenge / The Pinnacle Schools
The facility opened in 2005. It is located near Huntsville in Alabama.
In the media the facility attracted attention due to the actions of both employees and relatives of the founder. Over touchy security officers looking for a fight is never fun.
At Elk River Wilderness Challenge or The Pinnacle Schools as they also are called a report came last year of a very aggressive security officer.
It doesn’t sound like very much fun there, so they are on the list.
- Pinnacle Schools security officer investigated for assaulting student (Private Officer Breaking News blog)
- Factsheet of the facility (Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support)
- Why The Pinnacle of Hypocrisy Matters (Geek Palaver)
- Factsheet of the facility (HEAL-online)
- It Gets Worse. The Pinnacle Schools’ Teaching Techniques — and Torture. (Merts Center Monitor)
- Eric Lee Can’t Help It If He’s Lucky. But What About Those Who Aren’t? (Merts Center Monitor)
- Best Board Money Can Buy (Merts Center Monitor)
- Unloading about Elk River Treatment Program (Reddit r/troubledteens)