Christchurch’s Christ’s College is located in Christchurch, New Zealand. Recently the media has exposed a system of fagging in use up to the mid-1980’s. Also mentioned is the use of corporal punishment and an investigation into sexual abuse in the early 2000’s.
Most of the corporal punishment was metered out by senior students with little or no supervision from the management.
It could not have been fun to be there in the old days as a teenager.
- Christ’s College students ‘treated like slaves’: School’s cruel past surfaces as bullying victims step forward (Stuff)
- Christ’s College apologises to old boys who suffered abuse (Star News)
- Abuse in Care Royal Commission of Inquiry: Christ’s College cases could be at least 80, Bishop says (New Zealand Herald)
Højer Design Efterskole is a so-called Continuation high school used as a gap year for Danish students between form 9 and 10 before they either leave the school system for work or continue in Gymnasium (High School). The students stay for a year with about 10 weekends off.
The school was founded in 2008 and is known to have expelled a large percentage of its students. In 2008 only 58 out of 90 students finished the year. In 2009 it was 49 out of 75 students. Some were expelled due the suspicion of have consumed alcohol just because they were in a happy mood (Alcohol is allowed for Danes aged 16 or high as long as the alcohol percentage is below the safe limit of 16.5.
The policy of expelling students seem to continue even this year.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager if your cultural origin dictates another way of living.
Loretto School located near Edinburgh apologized for the abuse some of the former students suffered by the hands of employees who were working there when the abuse took place.
Former students took the brave step to come forward and testify about what kind of abuse they suffered and as result further investigation took place.
It cannot have been fun to be there as a student when the abuse took place.
- Boarding schools apologise ‘unreservedly’ over abuse (TES News)
- Professor tells of sex abuse at top school Many prominent men were victims at Loretto over 16 years, claims academic (The Herald)
- Sexually abused during his time at Loretto School, Don Boyd returns to Edinburgh and launches a book incorporating his abuse (The Scotsman)
Carmel College was founded in 1948 and closed in 1997. It was intended as a Jewish alternative to the traditional English boarding schools based on so-called Christian values. While successful in giving many young children a good education, it also allowed a now convicted Housemaster and French teacher to prey on the children in the years between 1968 and 1988. The children often lonely and far away from their support-network and families were easy victims.
It could not have been fun to be a teenager victimized by this person.
- Dark Modernism : the forgotten story of an abandoned Jewish boarding school (Explorabilia – Alternative Travel Experiences – blog)
- Carmel College sex abuse: Victim speaks of childhood ordeal (BBC)
- Acclaimed composer tells of sexual abuse at Carmel College (The Guardian)
The Salesian College located in Sunbury, Victoria, Australia was founded in 1929. In the 1970’s and up to some point in the 1990’s various forms of abuse took place on the hands of some of the employees. A number of persons were convicted.
It is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a teenager while the abuse took place.
- Justice four decades later (The Adviser)
- After 42 years, two victims expose the church’s cover-up (Broken Rites Australia)
- Extra jail time for rapist ex-priest who assaulted boy at summer camp (The Age Australia)
The St. Joseph care home sometime named St. Joseph’s boys school or St. Joseph Institute are in the news due to an investigation into a number of death taking place in the 1950’s among the 60 boys enrolled at that time. 34 deaths over a short period is alleged to be on the hands of a monk.
If it is the case that a monk killed boys off the boys, it is safe to say that it could not have been fun to be there as a child.
- Former head nurse says 20 boys were killed at Dutch boarding school (Daiji world)
- Dutch prosecutors probe Catholic institute deaths (The San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Multiple Deaths at Boys’ Home Were No Accident (Reuters via Bishop-Accountability)
The facility also going under names as St Joseph’s College and St Joseph’s College Hunters Hill is located near Sydney in Australia. It was established in 1881. For many years is was very closed connected to a Catholic Religious Institute of Brothers called Marist Brothers.
Recently articles about abuse which took place while the school had close connections to the brotherhood appeared. Testimonies were given before the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. A former brother was convicted but most of the alleged abusers had died at the time of the hearing.
It could not have been fun to be victim to the abuse committed by some of the brothers back then.
- Catholic Brother stands trial for the sexual abuse of his ‘favourite student’ in the late 1960s (ABC News Australia)
- Raped a dozen times when he was just 11 at a Catholic boarding school: Tony Daly reveals the devastating pain he hid during his storied rugby career and how his life spiralled out of control after retirement (Daily Mail Online)
Spring Ridge Academy located in Mayer, Spring Valley, Arizona. The facility is targeted by a lawsuit.
A former student wrote on Google:
I was forced to attend this ‘school’ over 20 years ago now. I still feel traumatized. Parents: Do NOT send your child here just because things are difficult. Research ‘troubled teen industry’ scams and the effects of parental abandonment during your teen’s formative years before you do this. I’m grown now, and I still can’t forgive my parents for doing this to me; we haven’t spoken in almost 10 years. This was one of the most awful experiences I endured growing up. Please find another way.
Her experience seems to be very much in line with testimonies from other former students.
The founder Jeannie Courtney used to work at a WWASP facility – Cross Crook in Utah which is also mentioned in this blog.
- Lawsuit Complaint Against Spring Ridge Academy for Negligence, Fraud, and RICO Violation (SCRIBD)
- SH at Spring Creek Academy (Tales from the Black School victim testimonial blog)
- Spring Ridge Academy feedbacks from Niche (Fighting Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICANetwork.net)
Sydøstsjællands Idrætsefterskole is a boarding school located in Haslev. It is of the type “Efterskole” (internationally compared to Continuation high schools) where children of rich parents who can afford DKK 50,000 or more for a kind of gab year can join for Form10 before they continue in gymnasium or more labor targeted schooling.
The students attend typical for one year. During a year they have most weekends off and are only required to remain at the boarding school for about 10 weekends per year.
As result of the Chinese Covid-19 pandemic many students have been forced to remain at home for some part of the school year receiving online education.
Most boarding schools in Denmark require a test before returning to the school after a weekend in private.
April 2021 a headmaster Anders Quistgaard expelled a 16-year-old student because the student during his private weekend off participated in a protest against the Danish Governments numerous lockdowns. Many Danes have lost their job, income and had their houses foreclosed.
As result a raising number of citizens have protested the precautions put up by the Danish government. The protests are called “The men in Black” protests. The authorities have arrested many and some even were arrested because they shared the news of protests previously published in Danish newspapers as the Danish government prefers that the surrounding world should not know about the difficult situation, the citizens in Denmark face.
Searching on the website of the school no information about a ban on certain political views or statements have been found. Still the student was expelled due to his political opposition towards the Danish government. The school state some kind of safety concern for the employees but the fact is that there are plenty of test-centers in Denmark, you can go to every single day without any delay, so there is nothing to worry about for any of the employees. They might be just as exposed to the virus while shopping in their local supermarket.
The local citizens do not like the students at the school
It seems that local youth dislike the students at the school. In 2015 groups of students were attacked by local youth and the article mentions that it was a tradition in town to beat the students up.
We must condemn expelling students based on their political point of view and that makes it safe to say that it cannot be fun to be there as a student if you do not share the political point of view of the school management. Also the placement of the school in a violent neighborhood must be of some kind of concern.
- Anton deltog i Men In Black-demonstration: Så blev han smidt ud af sin efterskole (BT – article is in Danish language)
- Continuation high school (Wikipedia)
- Voldelig tradition: Nye elever på efterskole fik tæsk af 15 lokale unge (TV2 Nyhederne – article is in Danish language)
After former students came forward, the Emma Willard School asked for a report into the past. It revealed several cases where the students were not secured properly.
To make matter worse, the local laws did not require schools to report abuse conducted against their students.
It cannot be fun to be there as a teenager.
- Emma Willard report reveals history of sexual misconduct (The Times Union)
- SPECIAL REPORT: Loopholes Allow Private Schools to Avoid Reporting Abuse. Will Cuomo Fix It? (Spectrum News)
- Decades of sexual abuse revealed at Emma Willard (The Daily Gazette)