886. Lake Alice Hospital
Lake Alice Hospital, established 1950 closed in 1999.
Recently former patients who were minors when they were placed at the hospital have come forward telling how they were treated with electric shock and drugs not for treatment but for punishment.
The authorities failed to monitor the hospital allowing the abuse to take place.
It cannot have been fun to be placed there as child.
- Lake Alice survivor told he was wasting police time when he made first complaint (The Stuff)
- Lake Alice Hospital survivor tells abuse inquiry of ‘lifelong, hideous effects’ (RNZ)
- Lake Alice: Dr Leeks ‘evil and deceitful’ – former assistant (RNZ)
- Lake Alice Psychiatric Hospital: Politicians, staff need to be held accountable, says ex-patient (New Zealand Herald)
- Child torture victim endured shock therapy at New Zealand facilities (Orato World)