844. Solstice East Residential Treatment Center
In 2021 people gathered to protest against Solstice East – a residential treatment center located in Weaverville, North Carolina. Since 2020 there have been a lot of focus on the long-term consequences of having been placed in a restricted hospital setting while underaged. An article speak of extensive use of isolation rooms.
A report from 2020 made by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation was very critical of the facility. The facility was given a number of issues, they should work on.
If a facility does not comply with state standards it means that it does not sound like fun to be there as a teenager.
- Survivors Protest to Shut Down Solstice East Troubled Teen Facility Following Release of Disturbing Child Abuse Investigation Report (Reddit TroubledTeen awareness group)
- How a stay at Solstice East RTC felt – by “couchland_prevails” (When Far from Home – victim testimonial blog)
- The Truth About Solstice East / West (Reddit TroubledTeen awareness group)
- You’d hear girls screaming, crying.’ Former clients, state allege abuses at Solstice East (Citizen Times)