762. Ranch for Kids in Rexford
July 2019 newspaper articles showed that the authorities had removed 27 children from the facility after an investigation. The reason for the action of the authorities were quoted to be “consistent and chronic allegations” of medical neglect and physical and psychological abuse. Some of the points mentioned in articles were:
- Children were hit, kicked, body slammed and spit on by staff members.
- Staff members inflicted “persistent psychological abuse” on children, including prolonged isolation.
- Children were forced to go on 15- to 20-mile “disciplinary walks” on remote Forest Service roads in harsh conditions.
- Food was withheld from children.
- A nail gun was shot at a child.
If the investigation stands, it is safe to state that it cannot be fun to have been there as a teenager.
The ranch is mentioned in a article about the use of isolation. Read: Former students describe isolation, physical punishments, ‘cuddle puddles’ (The Missoulian)