755. Mount Carmel Industrial School
Mount Carmel Industrial School was located in Moate in Ireland.
It was a place where the local child welfare authorities could outsource their responsibilities to. Adults who survived the ordeal being placed there as children speak of beatings and sexual abuse. Some children seem to have disappeared. The paperwork was sparse and properly some of it has disappeared.
It could not have been fun to be there as a child. Where the oversight, the state should have taken care off were, is also uncertain. None seem to have taken care.
- Offaly man speaks out about sickening abuse suffered in local residential home (Offaly Express)
- “I want to know who those babies were, how they ended up in that room in Mount Carmel and what ever became of them.” (Irish Mirror)
- Woman was victim of abuse since childhood (The Irish Times)
- ‘The State doesn’t care’ – Brave survivor of childhood sexual and physical abuse at industrial school (The Irish Independent)