665. Canyon State Academy
Canyon State Academy earlier known as Arizona Boys Ranch was a place where other states sent children to in order to send them somewhere so the case workers caseload would be lighter. None seemed to care how the children had it. In the end this attitude claimed the life of a boy. None were punished for this death.
It could not have been fun to be there as a teenager.
- Nicholaus Contreraz (Wikipedia)
- The slow, painful, pointless death of Nicholaus Contreraz, age 16, at the Arizona Boys Ranch (Project Nospank)
In 2009 the police had to be called in and break up fighting among teachers and students.
In 2020 a 17 year old boy was found dead on the campus. His name has not been released. Investigation is ongoing. Also a Covid-19 outbreak caused concern.
- 11 students arrested after Queen Creek brawl (This is Tucson)
- 17-year-old Canyon State Academy student dies after being found unresponsive (AZ Central)
- COVID-19 outbreaks in AZ child detention centers worry advocates (Tucson Sentinel)