445. Swedish foster care home near Lund
A 15-year-old girl died from pneumonia after having been sick for 3 weeks placed in foster care at aged 10 after her mother briefly was hospitalized.
When the mother regained her health the social services wouldn’t let her home. As a stigmatized single mother there are not much her mother could have done legally against the Swedish social services which in a country with strong socialist roots are a kingdom of their own.
So the girl settled at the Horse farm where she was placed.
Even being a kingdom of their own the social services had a few rules they were supposed to follow. They should:
- Visit the girl from time to time securing that she a good life
- Make sure that a girl like this would alone in the placement because her papers stated that it should be so
- Make sure that one the foster parents was at home. The foster family was paid so one of parents didn’t need another job.
But the foster parens were busy with their horse breading. There were 5 children placed at this foster family.
So when the girl got sick the girl was not taken to the hospital. Doctors appointment at home also never took place.
She died untreated after 3 weeks of illness. She was buried in an unmarked grave by the social services so the scandal could be forgotten.
It could not have been fun to be placed in foster care in Sweden under these conditions.
Sources (some in local language):
- 15-year-old Donia dead from mono in Swedish foster care (blog)
- Donia dog – “glömdes bort” av fosterföräldrarna (Aftonbladet)
- Mindre värde än en hund (Astrid’s miljö og samhällsblogg)