419. St Mary’s Mother and Baby Home
St Mary’s Mother and Baby Home was located in Tuam, County Galway in Ireland. It was a feeder home to the The Magdalene Laundries. When the children didn’t die or were adopted illegal to other countries the children would grow up and start working in the Laundries.
The remains of 800 dead children was located on the property of the facility.
Investigation is still on-going but it is safe to conclude that it wasn’t fun to be there as a child.
- The house of tears: Secret tapes of woman who spent years at controversial Irish home for unmarried mothers reveals there WAS an unmarked mass grave for up to 800 children (The Daily Mail)
- The mother behind the Galway children’s mass grave story: ‘I want to know who’s down there’ (The Guardian)
- Bon Secours Mother and Baby Home (Wikipedia)
- How five unmarried mothers were buried in an unmarked mass grave alongside 796 babies who went missing at Irish nuns’ Mother and Baby home of horrors (The Daily Mail)