307. The Red Deer Residential School (1893-1919)
I received a mail regarding “Secret Prisons for Teens” post about the Florida killer school which is also listed on this blog. Other now closed school also buried children who died in their care quickly so no questions could be asked.
In this case from Canada they have an abandoned cemetery at the site of the former Red Deer Residential School in Canada. There could be 20 children buried there. There could be 40 children buried there. None knows. Back then the parents often only learned that their child had died when they came to pick up their child before holiday.
It doesn’t sound like it was a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Time to remember ‘residential’ children (Red Deer Advocate)
- CANADA- The Red Deer Residential School (1893-1919) “Runaways,” Ft Normandeau AB (Websleuths)
- One in five students at Red Deer’s residential school died and an Indigenous group wants answers (CBC)
- Alberta commits funding to find unmarked graves but advocates concerned about process, details (Red Deer Advocate)