239. Spring Creek Lodge
Spring Creek Lodge was one of the largest programs in the now almost closed WWASP chain of behavior modification boarding schools. It opened in 1997 and closed in 2008. Located in an isolated part of Montana they were the largest employer in the area. The local police was partly financed by the school and some claims that the police closed their eyes on some of the abusive methods former students speak about.
Today the campus is used to train children of the native population. Hopefully they have made a memorial for the many teenagers who lost years of their lives locked down living in a prison without having been charged and convicted in court with legal defense as normal citizens get. Last and not least a memorial for Karlye Newman who ended her life at the school.
It was not a fun place to be as a teenager.
- Karlye Anne Newman (Today a child died memorial blog)
- Who’s Watching the Kids? (Montana PBS)
- Factsheet about the program (WWASP survivors)
- State investigating girl’s death at therapeutic boarding school (Independent Record Helena)
- Factsheet about the program (Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support message board)