38. Copper Canyon Academy
Copper Canyon Academy was a girls only private prison in Arizona. It opened in 1998 and closed 2014 due to bad media coverage and former students speaking out. It was used as entertainment in several episodes of the Dr. Phil entertainment shows where girls have been locked up for doing what is both legal and normal in other countries.
It was not odd that there have several cases where some of the girls have escaped. In one case the police had to be called due to knife episode. The facility was also involved with Randy Young who was arrested for having pornographic images of children on his company laptop at his new job where they had a security policy preventing this kind of actions which was not the case at Copper Canyon Academy
They had horses but the girls are isolated far away from family and peers.
The facility was sold and renamed Sedona Sky Academy. At the time of its closure it was owned by Aspen Education Group but the founder purchased it back and renamed the facility due to the bad press coverage it had gained on various message boards and news.
- Teen at school for troubled girls allegedly threatens staff, Associated Press, The Arizona Star, November 26, 2007
- Copper Canyon Academy Has Closed Its Doors (Therapy Insider)
- Copper Canyon Academy (HEAL-Online)
- Copper Canyon Academy (1998-2014) – (Anti-Troubled Teen Industry Activism & Survivor Support – Reddit)
- ‘Abused’ teens take aim at Lifetime reality show (The New York Post)
- Ex-Teacher Arrested for Possession of Child Porn Photos (Cottonwood News)